Marketing and targeting to increase user base.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Marketing and targeting to increase user base.

Post by ChuangTzu »

gapan wrote: 27. Mar 2018, 07:11
DidierSpaier wrote: 26. Mar 2018, 21:23 As an aside, the same people who praise the absence of documentation and automatic resolution of dependencies in Slackware feell the need to document them in the READMEs of http://slackbuilds.org, and despise slapt-get but reinvent a tool every now and then to provide the same features.
Those are not dependencies, there are no dependencies in Slackware, they are requirements! :P
:mrgreen:
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Kingpin wrote: 15. Jun 2018, 13:36 Hey people, I just wrote an article praising Salix on my website. Check it out! https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/salix.html
Nice write up.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

globetrotterdk wrote: 26. Mar 2018, 11:54 In my opinion, Salix OS should be sold on it's elegance and KISS philosophy, to Slackware and non-Slackware users. Rather than providing different desktops, I think that Salix could develop a much larger user base if a non-dependency resolution version was created. In my opinion, "for lazy Slackers" is self-depreciating, rather than marketing the Salix advantages.

There are numerous posts on LinuxQuestions.org from users that express a desire for a Slackware without the proverbial "kitchen sink". A non-dependency resolution version would most probably require more resources, but most likely less than providing versions with various WMs as in the past, and would target those Slackware fans that are yearning for more KISS in Slackware, but don't feel the need for dependency resolution.

Anyway, something to think about...
If you belong to any other forums, perhaps LQ, then put a link to Salix in your signature, or make sure you put Salix for distro used etc...
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I think for a larger "market share," people need to know the great advantages of SalixOS over the big famous one-size-fits-all alternatives, and Salix users need to publicize it on their blogs, forums, and social media.

Advantages of Salix:
  • Keeping it Simple: One application per task. Change the application if you like, or add more, but out-of-the-box Salix is SIMPLE.
  • No Systemd: Most people probably don't care one way or the other, but if we briefly offer a few words on why this matters, we could pick up more users.
  • Super-duper-ultra-mega STABLE: No surprises, nothing broken after updates.
  • Super-duper-ultra-mega Long Term Support: Earlier versions that worked fine on your ancient, 12-year-old 32-bit abacus are probably still supported!
As for the slogan "Linux for Lazy Slackers," I think it's absolutely perfect! Salix does for Slackware what Ubuntu once did for Debian - make it usable by us ordinary mortals, typical desktop users.
ginonarni

Post by ginonarni »

I completely agree! These that you have listed are the most important features of this wonderful linux operating system. I really love his ability to refer to the original basic principles of Unix. I've been using Salix for almost two years and it has stopped my problem of compulsive distrohopping :-)