Firefox-esr-60

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
laplume
Donor

Re: Firefox-esr-60

Post by laplume »

Hello Gapan,
Downloaded the 32bit package, but does not seem to work:

Code: Select all

bash-4.2$ firefox
firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/firefox-60esr/libxul.so: undefined symbol: dbus_validate_bus_name
Switch back again to 52.9.
Regards,
Antonio
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Tried also with Ruario's script but to no avail (terminal output was just the same).
Just noticed this thread in LQ:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175634756/

Guess it's time for me to upgrade to 14.2 finally.

Regards,

Antonio
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, that's what I was afraid of... I still don't know if it works in 14.1 and I won't be able to try it for another 10 days or so. Thanks for the report!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Just upgraded to 60.2.0esr for the 14.2 and 14.1 repos. It might take a bit for changes to propagate to mirrors.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks gapan! Still getting used to this, but one has to keep up with the times.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm finding it slow and full of hiccups. This doesn't seem to be a Salix problem, having tried it in another distro.

Pages can be slow to load and it often stutters across several tabs. I don't have slow internet, so it's not that.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Have you tried with a clean profile?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Yes, and also behaviour is similar in a Debian-based live USB without persistence. I'm not sure if it is the very same version, but probably.

I cleaned the profile when I initially had trouble with NoScript, though that was the previous package.

It may well be NoScript that is at fault, and I know there are alternatives, but the great merit of NoScript is simplicity.
galmei

Post by galmei »

My Firefox 60.2.0esr (64-Bit) installation works fine. It seems to me that the pages are loaded and displayed a bit faster. I have slower internet and old PC hardware. I had previously uninstaled the previous version and then installed the new version and kept the profile.

Then I manually removed the previously installed NoScript version and added the current version (10.1.9.1). The same with "Video Downloadhelper" (7.3.5).

When Firefox quits, I let delete the entire history. With every OS shutdown, I let delete all caches, including those of Firefox. That could also have influence.

Thanks for the new version!
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Folks wanting privacy and security will be interested by this web page: https://vikingvpn.com/cybersecurity-wik ... d-security (credit abga @ LQ for the link).

Also, there is a related thread on LinuxQuestions.org aka LQ: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175637321/

Last, galmei, if you include these lines in ~/.profile, you will never again have to delete the content of ~/. cache as no software that I know will continue to write in it.

export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/dev/shm/$(whoami)
mkdir -p /dev/shm/$(whoami)
chmod 700 /dev/shm/$(whoami)
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_CACHE_HOME
For instance here all these directories and their content will be wiped out at next reboot:

didier[~] ls -1 /dev/shm/didier
dconf
fontconfig
gvfs
mate
mozilla
pulse
speech-dispatcher
thumbnails
thunderbird
didier[~]$