Newer Glade version?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
galmei

Newer Glade version?

Post by galmei »

Hello,

A few months ago, I became aware of a small project by Lazarus Lazaridis. The author provides to the interested reader the initial knowledge for application programming for GTK, using the programming language Ruby. Glade 3.18.3 is used to define the interfaces in this project. The latest version is 3.22.0.

Salix is currently providing Glade version 3.8.5. However, some of the GTK window elements from the example application can not yet be created with this. The definition and program files provided in the project work under Salix64 Xfce 14.2. Thus, the Salix runtime environment is sufficiently well equipped.

So the questions to those here who might know: Is it possible to deploy one of the newer and more appropriate Glade versions on Salix? If that's possible, is the effort still worth it, with regard to the upcoming new Slackware/Salix releases?

I would be happy about a newer version of Glade for Salix.

I'm also interested in the tools other members use to run GUI application development. Maybe there is something "better" than Glade available.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Project link: https://iridakos.com/tutorials/2018/01/ ... -with-ruby
Glade link: https://glade.gnome.org/
Papasot
Donor

Re: Newer Glade version?

Post by Papasot »

Sorry for the delayed answer but anyway it might be useful to reply even now.

The easiest way is to install Glade 3.18.3 precompiled package via SlackOnly, a third-party Slackware repository. For example, the 64-bit version can be found here. Luckily Glade doesn't have any additional requirements, so all you need to do is to install said package and exclude glade3 provided by Salix repositories, so that it won't downgrade Glade next time you do a system update. However, make sure you really need that newer version first. In general, installing newer packages than the ones the system provides should be done only when it is absolutely necessary.

As for GUI application development, GTK+ is a good choice, if you ask me. I used to develop GTK+ application in the past (in C, I have no experience about the Ruby bindings for GTK+.) However, nowadays I prefer FLTK which I find simple to use, lightweight, and good-looking. I also use wxwidgets sometimes, for similar reasons. You might want to have a look at those two projects and see if they fit your needs.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
galmei

Re: Newer Glade version?

Post by galmei »

Thanks for the reply and the reference to the Glade package on slackonly.com. I will try it.

The ruby bindings for GTK+-3 is done via the Ruby Gem gtk3. Mostly I use the programming language 'C'. On occasion also Objective-C. I've been using Ruby for eight years now, but almost always for smaller and private applications.

I had also used FLTK and wxwidgets, but the habit was lost because of rare use.