IceCat 60.2 got released

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Kingpin

IceCat 60.2 got released

Post by Kingpin »

Or "prereleased", whatever that means - https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.2.0/. Anyway, it has none of the privacy problems of vanilla Firefox, and a nice privacy page + some addons are included. Overall I'm pretty impressed. I think there is now no excuse - it should be the default in the next Salix version. What do you people think?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: IceCat 60.2 got released

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for the link!

I'm afraid it's unlikely this will become the default browser, though. But I imagine that as with Firefox, you can just download the binary and run it in situ.

However, it seems it's already available as a SlackBuild (though not this testing version). There seem to be two items: icecat and "Icecat", with the latter failing the md5sum check. Looking on slackbuilds.org, the first installs the binary from the website as a package, while the capitalized one actually builds the whole thing from source. It's probably not worth doing that, but the checksum mismatch can probably easily be resolved.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I doubt that Icecat become the next standard browser too.

You may also want to try Brave, cf. https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/brave/ that probably won't become the next standard browser either.

At least it looks reasonably safe out of the box and is fast.
Kingpin

Post by Kingpin »

Why wouldn't IceCat be the default browser? It's has all the advantages of Firefox and is preconfigured to respect your privacy. Brave, on the other hand, doesn't even support Chrome extensions, so it's not very useful.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

For starters the developer/packager for IceCat (Ruben) is notoriously behind schedule with updates. IMO he is wearing too many hats; IT guy for FSF and Trisquel Linux developer. A serious web browser needs to be a focus not a side project.