Proposal to mark posts as "s o l v e d" again

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
galmei

Proposal to mark posts as "s o l v e d" again

Post by galmei »

With regard to: viewtopic.php?f=22&p=45683#p45682
gapan wrote: 29. Dec 2019, 21:44 mimosa, you're able to do that because you are a forum moderator. Users are not able to do edit older posts after some time, because spambots were taking advantage of it; they would make a seemingly legitimate post and then after some time (days/weeks) they would edit it with spam links. This kind of spam could go undetected by most moderators for quite some time.
Ordinary forum members cannot change their texts after a little while - not even the subject texts. On this occasion I would like to make a suggestion. Maybe a solution for the now impossible SOLVED markings can be created. My idea is to have an additional SOLVED button that marks the discussion thread as solved. Only the first poster in a discussion and the forum moderators will see this button. The function behind it inserts the SOLVED status information into the database that hosts the forum content and the display function of the forum software displays this information in the subject line.

Unfortunately I don't know the forum software and therefore I don't know if this is possible and how much work an extension might require.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Proposal to mark posts as "s o l v e d" again

Post by gapan »

Unfortunately, this is not supported directly by the phpBB forum software that we use. There are some extensions, but they tend to break easily with phpBB version upgrades and I wouldn't want us to rely on them.

For example, this extension:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic_solved
it seems to be broken for phpBB 3.2, according to the github issue tracker, and I don't think anyone is fixing it.

So, I guess we'll have to do without it and have moderators mark as solved manually upon request.
galmei

Re: Proposal to mark posts as "s o l v e d" again

Post by galmei »

gapan wrote: 1. Jan 2020, 21:29 Unfortunately, this is not supported directly by the phpBB forum software that we use. There are some extensions, but they tend to break easily with phpBB version upgrades and I wouldn't want us to rely on them.

For example, this extension:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic_solved
it seems to be broken for phpBB 3.2, according to the github issue tracker, and I don't think anyone is fixing it.

So, I guess we'll have to do without it and have moderators mark as solved manually upon request.
Thanks for the explanation, gapan. This loss of function is no big deal at first.