Salix Design

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Salix Design

Post by ChuangTzu »

MissTell, we've been through this before. There is contributing to a distro and then there's trying to change it to match something else, or critiquing just for the sake of it. Appears to be an appropriate avatar (phrase on sweatshirt).
hugok

Post by hugok »

This is about making salix look good!
And how we say here in Portugal, tastes can't be discussed... but i also agree that "free" don't have to be ugly!
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Do you think this is ugly?

It's Salix, y'all. Good old Xfce, made to look just the way I want it. If you're saying it's ugly because it's Xfce, I hope I have proved you wrong with this screenshot of my desktop.
missTell

Post by missTell »

It's Salix, y'all. Good old Xfce, made to look just the way I want it. If you're saying it's ugly because it's Xfce, I hope I have proved you wrong with this screenshot of my desktop.
Ugly it's not, just plain wrong, but ...

1. If YOU like it, it's your good right -- but it doesn't make it any better or good

2. To understand why's that, you'd have to understand what you don't, but I'll not bother explaining it -- wouldn't help much

Page 5, last post or page 6, first post, and many, many others ... and you can see why it's not worth explaining ...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
hugok

Post by hugok »

When I say ugly, I don't mean that xfce is because it's a completely customizable desktop environment. I just think the standard design could be better. I think Salix in that aspect always manages to improve Xfce default appearance. I think in this case missTell has shown good taste!
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I'll agree that "plain vanilla" Xfce looks dated and bland. But for me, making it into what I want is half the fun!
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Artim wrote: 2. Apr 2022, 23:42 Do you think this is ugly?

Artim, looks great. You made it your own and it expresses your personality. You've got Slack in you, take the tools and make it your own.

I've always treated Salix as Slackware made easy (or easier).
missTell

Post by missTell »

hugok wrote: 4. Apr 2022, 21:05 When I say ugly, I don't mean that xfce is because it's a completely customizable desktop environment. I just think the standard design could be better. I think Salix in that aspect always manages to improve Xfce default appearance. I think in this case missTell has shown good taste!
With all due respect -- what you think of my taste is completely irrelevant.

1. You're not nearly enough qualified to discuss on design matters, but can only discuss your taste -- which is irrelevant.

2. Good GUI and desktop design DOES NOT depend on anybodies taste, but on science.

In the past, I made a few wallpapers for Salix and those were made so as they are for two reasons:

1. They are different from what most other 'distro-bakers' use and those -- Salix would stand out of the crowd (independent on who likes them or not).

2. They meet ergonomic requirements for a good wallpaper (independent on who likes them or not, as a good image DOES NOT automatically makes a good wallpaper!).
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Dammit, there are indeed usability tests done by the big companies or research being done in universities. And yes, aspect of a desgin is how well its crafted like a table can be well crafted.

A design has to "work"! For example if you can't read the letters, it's scrap. Or if it's too complicated, it's scrap.

That's an argument for Xfce. Looks like my Windows 98 computer, which I've grown up with and that's the fastest way for me of using a computer. Long menus, lots of text, good for using with a precise mouse. (So here is my taste).

By the way, did any distro tried to ship with a single-coloured, plain background? Not grey, rather a proper colour. Wouldn't probably stay for too long on the user's screens, all these Linux nerds would keep altering it to their wishes, destroying any concept of all these smart brains studying usability. So better know your target group!
missTell

Post by missTell »

Bird wrote: 7. Apr 2022, 09:44 Dammit, there are indeed usability tests done by the big companies or research being done in universities. And yes, aspect of a desgin is how well its crafted like a table can be well crafted.

A design has to "work"! For example if you can't read the letters, it's scrap. Or if it's too complicated, it's scrap.

That's an argument for Xfce. Looks like my Windows 98 computer, which I've grown up with and that's the fastest way for me of using a computer. Long menus, lots of text, good for using with a precise mouse. (So here is my taste).

By the way, did any distro tried to ship with a single-coloured, plain background? Not grey, rather a proper colour. Wouldn't probably stay for too long on the user's screens, all these Linux nerds would keep altering it to their wishes, destroying any concept of all these smart brains studying usability. So better know your target group!
1. Gnome 42 is an example of 'well crafted'.

2. Xfce does not really work ...

3. Whenever "I" appears, the one who mentioned it, is disqualified from any further (reasonable) discussion.

4. The same goes for "for me" (3) -- irrelevant for the proper design.

5. No preinstalled wallpaper stays set for longer than the time needed to change it -- after that, some cat, willow tree or (ugly) partner's photo will be set as a wallpaper -- but that's not the point of a discussion.

6. Exactly -- all these Linux nerds would keep altering it to their wishes -- however, the concepts are always about the MAJORITY of users (which are usually never to be found in some forums!) and not about the dozen of these Linux nerds which are usually the loudest in every forum.

THE USER HAS TO ADAPT HIS BRAIN / THE WAY OF THINKING / THE WORKFLOW AND ADAPT HIM/HERSELF TO THE OPERATING SYSTEM, and not customize his operating system to 'his needs'.

Either you're intelligent, and you can adapt yourself and work with a (properly preconfigured) system (without customizing it to your own needs), or you are incapable / nerd, who works on customizing the system, instead of doing the job with the computer.

I don't care if I have a TWM, Gnome 42, Xfce or KDE. After a couple of days, I can 'work productively' with any one of them without customizing anything, but still, some designs have 'friendlier' concept than the others. Gnome became standard in most big distributions -- for a reason -- ask my mum. ;)