Salix Design

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Bird
Donor

Re: Salix Design

Post by Bird »

missTell wrote: 8. Apr 2022, 19:17 THE USER HAS TO ADAPT HIS BRAIN / THE WAY OF THINKING / THE WORKFLOW AND ADAPT HIM/HERSELF TO THE OPERATING SYSTEM, and not customize his operating system to 'his needs'.
Impossible. Too many needs. Too many different ways of people to use their computers.
So the people will end up customising it (if they demand for "more"). Takes maybe an hour on a new install, then the machine runs for some years. Yeah, it actually gets work done.

Let me compare computing with car racing. Of course you can drive as it is, but your performance will improve, if you set up everything correctly (gears, aerodynamics, engine, tires) to fit your driving style (and the track). And if you want to get the maximum out of computing, you'll end up tweaking and customising.

Target group:
Salix/Slackware for average computer users (that don't ask for "more")? Difficult. It was far too often about one popular closed-source application, that didn't made it to Slackware... so you had to compile it... so FORGET IT! And then ten different loud nerds shouting "I like", "I use", "I prefer" so that's your target group here.

Xfce:
You are a radical design-terrorist and will not bomb my old-fashioned castle (Xfce)! Allright, you get a try. What would you critisize on an Xfce desktop? It's a (computer memory) efficent desktop, and I could have brought two of my 32-bit machines to the scrapyard already, if there wouldn't be Xfce around.

Catapults ready...
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I'm still just a kid, but for me stability, simplicity, and reliability mean much more than bleeding-edge, fancy with lots of bling, and having a desktop full of features I rarely ever use. That's the real reason I like Xfce so much! It doesn't go through sudden, radical changes with each new release the way it's more popular siblings do. A perfectly boring OS is all I need for school and social media, which is basically all I use a 'puter for anyway.
missTell

Post by missTell »

Bird wrote: 10. Apr 2022, 17:50
missTell wrote: 8. Apr 2022, 19:17 THE USER HAS TO ADAPT HIS BRAIN / THE WAY OF THINKING / THE WORKFLOW AND ADAPT HIM/HERSELF TO THE OPERATING SYSTEM, and not customize his operating system to 'his needs'.
Impossible. Too many needs. Too many different ways of people to use their computers.
So the people will end up customising it (if they demand for "more"). Takes maybe an hour on a new install, then the machine runs for some years. Yeah, it actually gets work done.

Let me compare computing with car racing. Of course you can drive as it is, but your performance will improve, if you set up everything correctly (gears, aerodynamics, engine, tires) to fit your driving style (and the track). And if you want to get the maximum out of computing, you'll end up tweaking and customising.

Target group:
Salix/Slackware for average computer users (that don't ask for "more")? Difficult. It was far too often about one popular closed-source application, that didn't made it to Slackware... so you had to compile it... so FORGET IT! And then ten different loud nerds shouting "I like", "I use", "I prefer" so that's your target group here.

Xfce:
You are a radical design-terrorist and will not bomb my old-fashioned castle (Xfce)! Allright, you get a try. What would you critisize on an Xfce desktop? It's a (computer memory) efficent desktop, and I could have brought two of my 32-bit machines to the scrapyard already, if there wouldn't be Xfce around.

Catapults ready...
You are quoting something that you couldn't properly understand ...

There are no "Too many needs. Too many different ways ..." -- there is only one way -- the MOST EFFICIENT way. The Gnome way.

No distractions, no "tweaking" needed -- just learn how it works -- tweek yourself / your brain instead, NOT your computer interface!

No need for minimize / maximize buttons after you learned how your operating system works (just as one example) ...

Google Chrome, Inkscape, Kdenlive, LibreOffice, The GIMP ... every single application window must be full screen all the time (if you don't use multiple 8k screens) -- will say, WTF mini-/maximize something if you know how to use the Gnomes virtual desktops?

But yes, there are many who can't adapt to something new or better, who will always keep crying and tweaking ...

The computer is not a racing car, where tweaking it brings the productivity ("performance").
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
missTell

Post by missTell »

Artim wrote: 11. Apr 2022, 07:34 I'm still just a kid, but for me stability, simplicity, and reliability mean much more than bleeding-edge, fancy with lots of bling, and having a desktop full of features I rarely ever use. That's the real reason I like Xfce so much! It doesn't go through sudden, radical changes with each new release the way it's more popular siblings do. A perfectly boring OS is all I need for school and social media, which is basically all I use a 'puter for anyway.
Stability, simplicity, and reliability has nothing to do with the GUI-design or "modernizing Salix", so why even write that here?

"Having a desktop full of features I rarely ever use" (and having features which don't work properly) is exactly a feature of Xfce.

With Gnome you can concentrate on work instead of fixing all the small stuff that doesn't work properly or not at all.

Taskbar scaling which I recently mentioned is one such example that you should have remembered ...

But you are right on "[Xfce] doesn't go through sudden, radical changes with each new release ..." -- it's stuck in the past in every imaginable way, and that's exactly why it doesn't work ...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
hugok

Post by hugok »

I like all the desktop environments. They are all different in their own way. It is up to the user to choose.
I just translate them all into Portuguese (Portugal) in my spare time since my family and police life don't give me much time to spare.
This is my small contribution to FOSS.

https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/pt/
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79