Refind as bootloader?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
PelleB

Refind as bootloader?

Post by PelleB »

Maybe Refind could be good to have as an alternative to grub? Or to elilo, if that one is still under consideration.

It does not need reconfiguring after each kernelupdate, if I am not mistaking it automatically chooses the newest kernel if several are installed. In most cases it works without any configuring, otherwise a configuration file can be placed in /boot. This is the case when kernel options are needed, as with Nvidia drivers.

Mageia has it as an alternative during installation, I do not know if it has proven popular or if there have been any problems.

Just a thought....
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Refind as bootloader?

Post by gapan »

Refind is not a bootloader so it cannot replace one.

I still think elilo is better than the mess grub2 is, that is if the only thing you want to boot is the one distribution. If you have multiple ones, you can also add refind before it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There's a refind package in the repositories. That's what I see when I boot my machine. As I understand it, elilo is set up to call refind, which then allows me to choose which partition's Linux installation to boot into.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It's the other way around. Refind boots the PC and then calls elilo to boot Salix, or grub for any other distribution or any other OS.