A "Point Release?"

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Artim
Donor

A "Point Release?"

Post by Artim »

Hi!

I'm returning to Salix after a bit of an absence. After a brief IRC chat I installed from the Xfce Live iso downloaded from Sourceforge. Nice 'n' easy, even for me. But I ran into a little trouble trying to update it and searched the forum to find the answer: Repository Mirror from the System menu. The answer was not to be found in either the Wiki nor the Startup Guide. If this had been my first time trying Salix out, I might have given up, assuming the project to be "abandoned."

I suggest a new up-to-date .iso be published right away! And some time be spent on the Wki and Startup Manual. I wish I knew how to help, other than to donate and promote the project on my blog.

Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: A "Point Release?"

Post by gapan »

Not worth the trouble. A new release (even a "point" one) requires considerable resources and time with rigorous testing. I'd rather spend that effort towards 15.0.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Yup, I understand, I think. Even a remaster of the current iso is a major pain in the rump. Is the same thing true of the Wiki and the Startup Guide? It took a whole day to get Salix up-to-date and fixed up the way I like, just stopping to search the forums for solutions (and finding them every time!). Not that one whole day is all that bad, really, it's just that I've been spoiled by the babysitter distros where it's all done for you - but at the cost of heavy, bloated, extra stuff that wastes space and eats up processor power. Thanks for this amazing distro!
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

In the meanwhile if you want to taste the upcoming 15.0 slackware (slackware 15.0alpha1) download slackel 7.4 (salix testing) openbox edition which is stable as rock (i use it every day as my main OS for productive use), even it is based on slackware testing and install it in a hard disk or an external ssd or usb stick using the live installer. Details here
Then only need to type the following lines to upgrade to latest slackware 15.0alpha1

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get --upgrade
sudo slapt-get -i aaa_base glibc glibc-solibs glibc-i18n kernel-firmware
to upgrade to the latest kernel and also update grub type
If have done the installtion in internal ssd or hard disk

sudo install-upgrade-kernel upgrade huge
If have done the installtion to an external ssd or usb stick

sudo install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb upgrade huge

can also have xfce
( to see what will be installed)

sudo slapt-get -i --install-set xfce -s 

( to proceed to installation)

sudo slapt-get -i --install-set xfce

sudo chmod 644 /usr/bin/slim (to use gdm)
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/slim (to go back to slim)
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Actually I got the Whisker Menu already and the latest versions of several softwares in Salix already, all I need. I was simply suggesting an update so that people don't assume - as many of us did - that the Salix project has been abandoned.

Though I'm sure Slackel is awesome! I haven't played with it yet, but I'll have a look. I love Openbox! Super-ultra-mega lightweight. I always added a dock/panel to it just for grins.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

If the Salix team would be a bit more dodgy here, they might actually profit from that. The project is called "dormant" on Distrowatch (https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... strostatus), because there weren't any new releases for two years. Change the background image or so and call it 14.2b or 14.2.1 or 14.2+729. I don't care, I only care about my computer being reliable. And Slackware-based systems achieve that without constant major releases.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Frankly, I don't care at all if distrowatch calls salix "dormant" or anything else. It's also really easy to game the distrowatch ranking system and appear to be "popular". I don't care about doing that either.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Updating Slackel it turned out a package "glibc-solibs" does not exist, maybe aaa_glibc-solibs? That one was updated by the upgrade command, so it should not be a problem (I think).
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

PelleB wrote: 25. Feb 2021, 13:47 Updating Slackel it turned out a package "glibc-solibs" does not exist, maybe aaa_glibc-solibs? That one was updated by the upgrade command, so it should not be a problem (I think).
No problem. glibc-solibs package did not included in slackel 7.4. Read here about aaa_glibc-solibs.
aaa_glibc-solibs has to be installed so system will not brake. I try to make slackel easy to upgrade even for new users (it is a semi "rolling" distro. Install it once and can always have the latest version, doing an upgrade). Usually new users do not use slapt-get to upgrade the system and just use gslapt so they can break the system since glibc will not installed first. I try to make tests imagine what user will do and try to help him to not break the system. User can run first sudo slapt-get --upgrade and then sudo slapt-get -i glibc. Or the opposite. In both cases system will not break.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

gapan wrote: 23. Feb 2021, 19:42 Frankly, I don't care at all if distrowatch calls salix "dormant" or anything else. It's also really easy to game the distrowatch ranking system and appear to be "popular". I don't care about doing that either.
It does not take much to make a distro rise, just a few positive user reviews. The DW ranking is kinda weird anyway, with MX-antiX ahead of all others for years now. An excellent distro but hey..

Salix is a totally needed distro and one I always keep installed. No need for new release for my use, normal tinkering and package upgrades is enough. Looking forward to 15, will that be a huge amount of work in Salix?