Make the people want what they don't need ...

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Make the people want what they don't need ...

Post by djemos »

I don't feed the troll. If the troll will not respond and let see what he says if he is not deleted from the forum i am out. We have a troll here and we tolerate him.

Edit: I was writing the message and i did not see the message the troll send to you. So let @gapan delete the troll. I can ban the troll. But since gapan is the leader i do not do it.
missTell

Post by missTell »

djemos wrote: 14. Sep 2022, 18:03 I don't feed the troll. If the troll will not respond and let see what he says if he is not deleted from the forum i am out. We have a troll here and we tolerate him.

Edit: I was writing the message and i did not see the message the troll send to you. So let @gapan delete the troll. I can ban the troll. But since gapan is the leader i do not do it.

No matter how hard I try, I really can't understand what are you actually even complain about???

I find that it was an extremely nice deed, to tell you personally something like that ...

But, you even object that I told you my opinion about Slackel personally, instead of making fun about the thing in the forum???

Have you ever heard of "first impression"?

That's what happens when you meet someone for the first time, or when you use something for the first time etc.

Now, the first impression of Slackel upon start is -- ugly and user hostile -- as the OpenBox with some Tint's, FB's and such is.

Upon boot, there is no network connection, and one has to chase through the OB menu to start it (forgot the auto-start check-mark?) ...

Then the installer ... it can't discover where to install itself, on a properly set /boot, /, /home, swap HD ...

Then one double-click on an image, which then opens in Gimp, instead of in Viewnior ...

If one tries to set the image as wallpaper in Viewnior, it won't work ...

Book 1 ... Book 2 ... Book 3 ....

All '1 Px' errors ...

Yes, everything can be fixed somehow, BUT -- that's the job of the developer -- to set the proper defaults!

Imagine buying a car, which you have to fix, before you can drive, with unfinished seats, and no glass parts, with empty tires ...

That's Slackel.

And the Linux in general ... I was chasing OOMOX dependencies half a day, and it still isn't fully functional ...

If I install Adobe Suite, or BlackMagic DaVinci, or ... everything is there, and everything WORKS upon duble-click / install / continue / continue / done.

And as I recently wrote, OpenBox with some Tint's, FB's and such is not only extremely user hostile, but also more resorce-hungry then IceWM ...

This IceWM runs atop of regular Salix 15.0 RC3 -- nothing is tweaked, or optimized, or ...

And this is 'why not OpenBox' ...

Now, you have your hurt ego-trip issue with me, but would you also have it if DistroWatch, Dedoimedo, or some other reviewer wrote something like that (as they would)?

Ban me if you are unable to see the real issue here -- YOU have to ensure that the thing looks and works properly, so nobody can really find a "full book" of objections. Banning me won't make the Slackel better ...

P.S.

Thanks for high-jacking the thread about Salix Art-Editions, and use it for some zram, broken-heart and similar issues ... can you even read the title, and respond accordingly???
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hey, take it easy everybody.

@missTell, I didn't ban you (yet), but your behavior is unacceptable. I don't blame anyone for calling you a troll, you absolutely deserve that. You might have some behavioral issues that you need to work out, but please try not to take them out here. I might have a somewhat thick skin and don't really mind when you're trying to troll me, but you are absolutely not allowed to talk trash about other people or their work, in these forums. If you can't do that, then you simply don't belong here. You might have some criticism that you need to express, and you might even have some valid points too, but that doesn't mean that you need to come off as a complete ass. Try this little exercise next time you're about to post something: before pressing the "Submit" button, ask yourself "is there any chance someone will get offended by this?". I know that your actual reaction to that question is probably always "I don't care", but if you want to be a part of this community, you will need to care. And if the answer is anything other than "Definitely not", then don't hit that "Submit" button. Now, your best course of action would be to apologize to djemos. And then try to be more positive and constructive on your comments. There are different ways of saying the same thing, and again, you might have some valid points, but the way you frame your comments may make all the difference on how other people perceive them. Try a web search on "how to give constructive criticism" or "how to provide feedback" or get a self-help book, I don't know. But you have to realize that nobody here owes you anything and they don't have to tolerate you no matter what.

djemos is an extremely valuable member of our small community. I cannot stress that enough.

And I'm not the only one wielding the ban hammer. djemos and Didier and others do too. And anyone with this power is free to use it, whenever they seem fit, no questions asked.

That's the end of discussion here, I'm locking this thread, at least for now.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

After a phone call I had with djemos, missTell is now banned from the forums.