Make the people want what they don't need ...

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
DidierSpaier

Re: Make the people want what they don't need ...

Post by DidierSpaier »

missTell wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 21:29
DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 19:38 You completely miss the point. Having swap in zram allows to run a system with half the installed RAM that it would need otherwise.
No, YOU completely missed the point -- (at least) twice ...

If you're missing RAM, then you need more RAM -- zram won't help you -- except if you plan to make holidays, while your PC is swapping
I give up. I will just continue to set swapinzram by default in Slint as it makes users happy, which is what matters for me.
missTell

Post by missTell »

DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 22:10
missTell wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 21:29
DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 19:38 You completely miss the point. Having swap in zram allows to run a system with half the installed RAM that it would need otherwise.
No, YOU completely missed the point -- (at least) twice ...

If you're missing RAM, then you need more RAM -- zram won't help you -- except if you plan to make holidays, while your PC is swapping
I give up. I will just continue to set swapinzram by default in Slint as it makes users happy, which is what matters for me.

Good boy ...

Because, no discussion on Ram usage makes sense in this topic, and besides, what you do is what Fedora did before you, however, if my machine has only 128 GB RAM, as it has, and I need a couple of TB's RAM, then no ZRAM can help me -- as you could read in that 'Gigabyte images' topic -- namely, that's why the 'post-production' takes some 2 months, or so ...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Make the people want what they don't need ... from all forum users
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I received this pivate message in salix "Private messages" from "@missTell". This fellow came here in salix to be a troll and produce problems.
Till he be excluded from the community i am out. When i first join salix i learnt a lot of the team and always was respect between us. I am not going to be a part of such a community with such kind of members. It is not the message it is the behavior.
He did not had the courage to write it here in the forums in public.

"I'm aware that I'm not making myself a new friend right now, but never in my life I saw a worse Linux distribution then Slackel -- there are so many issues with it, that one could write at least one book about.

By far the worst thing ever, at least the worst, that I ever saw, and an insult for Linux."

I wish you all the best. I am out.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Indeed this behavior is unacceptable. It is up to gapan to decide what moderation action to take.

@djemos: I am of course ready to say "good bye" to missTell, my friend, if that allows you to continue being with us here.

@missTell: just unsubscribing is in my opinion the best thing you can do.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

missTell wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 12:31 OpenBox plus Tint or FB aren't better looking, nor easier to use, nor use significantly fewer resources, so, yeah ...
Apropos Slackel, it could also need some lift-up ...
You consider THIS as lifting up? Because it looks like the exact opposite to me. What exactly you did, other than replacing the wallpaper and using a simple default tint2 theme instead of fbpanel? Ah yes, you modified the monitoring application as well which I forgot is name because it is the first thing I remove whenever I install Slackel.
Slackel is good as it is and yes, Openbox/fbpanel etc is (slightly) lighter than IceWM. It does NOT look ugly - plus it can be easily modified. See how things like that are extremely subjective? Have you ever realized that people have different tastes and yours might not be similar to theirs? I like red color, you probably don't; I dislike blue, you probably like it - or not. Must I try like a zealot to change your taste? Must I try to convince developers to change the looks of their default desktop so that it "sells" better?

I use both Salix and Slackel on several computers for more than 7 years now. I am not a "distro hopper". In every release there is always something I don't like in the looks. Usually it's minor things I don't even bother to modify, but when I do it it's something like "wrong" placement of workspaces and too many of them, some "wrong" colors, "wrong" cursor theme, etc. Modifying those is a matter of a few clicks in Salix and a matter of editing two well-documented config files in Slackel. Instead of typing sheet-long posts in a forum, telling people how they are wrong and I am right, how they must change this and that to "beautify" the default desktop according to my personal, subjective taste, I just modify it to my liking and that's it. Perhaps that's why I know how to close an xterm in TWM without closing the application I opened with it... I don't waste my time trying to convince others doing things as I please.
By the way TWM is not that bad, and even that one can be modified to look better.
djemos wrote: 13. Sep 2022, 13:06 About slackel it need a lifting. I agree.
It is has a nice look in all its simplicity, and it just does its job without wasting resources. For Devil's sake, do not follow MissTell's advice...
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

@djemos Slackel is a great distribution, I know because I am using it for years. I am not the only one, as one can easily see in Slackel forums, here, and at Sourceforge. It just so happens a trolling kid (whatever his biological age is) decided he should start insulting you - not because he has any reason, but because you can do something he can't.
You don't need his "opinion", and nobody else here needs it. I believe just ignoring him is the best thing we can all do. Eventually he will go "enlighten" other people in another forum.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
hugok

Post by hugok »

I don't think this is leading anywhere.... let's take a deep breath and keep calm.

We should have respect for everyone regardless of age, country, language, culture, religion or not, tastes and so on.... Although I like some ideas and especially misstell artwork I don't identify at all with his behavior/writing. Despite what is written I think that no one should be put off but rather, given a chance and understanding. But I also agree that what is toxic should be ignored. It is not because one person writes what they write that it will change the other person or person work, everyone knows themselves. I think in the Linux community there is a lot of "criticizing"... everyone criticizes everything just because. We can give our opinion yes but without offending anyone. @djemos I have been following your work for some time now and I really like what you do, so don´t leave the forum because you are needed here.

All distros, desktops environments, applications are different but I like them all.

Every distribution has a purpose no matter what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEDcmMGRPV4

Cheers
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I have read your posts.
@DidierSpaier
@Papasot
@hugok
and anyone else here.

I do not care if users like slackel or any other linux distribution out there. If slackel is useful there are the Sourceforge downloads since 2010 till today 157,594 from 191 countries. People pay for windows and other proprietary OS. From the other hand they get for FREE, FREE, FREE linux distributions.
At least they have to respect the hundreds of hours the developers and other users that help in different ways doing translations, testing etc have spent for FREE, FREE, FREE without any financial benefit but only from the love for linux and the open source. (speaking for myself since 2005 for the salix and slackel and lately for slint making translations). If someone do not like a product can go to other linux forums of the distro he likes. It is different someone to propose something for good and different to say it is insult for linux and in private just to tease. It is not the message personally to me. I would write the same for such a message to any developer or any user helping with translations, testing etc. SLI is the Slackel live installer and also with a few changes Salix live installer too. So if the work made in slackel is insult it is insult for salix also. It is the same product, same code. The linux world it is an ecosystem and every distribution has benefit from another. Slackel has benefit from salixtools etc. Anyone is free to write anything without insult anyone. I am also a free person and i also want respect in this forum to everybody. Otherwise we cannot work together as a community.

I believe that people can change and have to give them the chance to do it.
So let give to @missTell a chance to think and respond.
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

@djemos your work and your sympathy is recognized by all, do not feed the trolls, he's just waiting for that.
hugok
Every distribution has a purpose no matter what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEDcmMGRPV4
hugok you are a killer, i peed my pants i"m sending you the bill.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"