Salix disk encryption - Help needed

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
lurker666

Salix disk encryption - Help needed

Post by lurker666 »

Hello! I wouldn't have registered for this forum as I don't like forums that much, but I do like Salix OS. The only problem is that I don't know how to encrypt the disk on Salix so that when I turn on the machine it asks for the password. This is the only obstacle, I don't know how to encrypt the disk on Salix. Can someone help me with this in detail, even by describing the commands so I can execute them? I really like Salix, I've used it a lot in VirtualBox, but the only drawback is that I don't know how to encrypt the disk.

If this could be solved, I would probably switch to Salix. I really like this system. Thanks in advance, and have a nice day!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix disk encryption - Help needed

Post by gapan »

Hi lurker666 and welcome!

Did you follow the instructions in the following links?
https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/sla ... _CRYPT.TXT
https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/sla ... ME_LVM.TXT

The procedure should be the same as with slackware, there are some differences in the installer. You should exit the salix installer when it is started, prepare the encrypted partitions and then start the installer again by running "setup".
lurker666

Post by lurker666 »

gapan wrote: 26. Apr 2023, 08:25 Hi lurker666 and welcome!

The procedure should be the same as with slackware, there are some differences in the installer. You should exit the salix installer when it is started, prepare the encrypted partitions and then start the installer again by running "setup".
I did everything as described here, and everything worked fine until the kernel panicked on reboot. It was "Kernel Panic - unable to mount root fs". I did the same thing several times before the install, I probably messed up the post-install part. I am a beginner at this stuff and would like to learn. I have installed Salix from USB, and I have had several times after the installation where "root fs" comes up with "kernel panic". What can I do about it? How can I add the mkinitrd command to make my USB keyboard work when typing the password?

Thanks for your reply, and thanks in advance.
lurker666

Post by lurker666 »

gapan wrote: 26. Apr 2023, 08:25 Hi lurker666 and welcome!

*update*

I managed to encrypt the disk, so now the system works. Thanks again!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

What did you do differently than before?
lurker666

Post by lurker666 »

gapan wrote: 3. May 2023, 14:03 What did you do differently than before?
Before the "setup" with Cryptsetup, pv/vg/lvcreate there was no problem, the swap was set correctly. The problem was at the end of the setup, the boot drive was not mounted correctly, there was a little problem with the root, and after the mkinitrd command I did not configure lilo.conf correctly. But it works now. I am completely new to the world of Slackware. Before I didn't know much about Linux systems [partitions, etc], but with the Salix installation many were solved. I learned a lot just from the installation. The next problem is that I don't know how to install many packages using SlackBuild.

Currently I want to download and configure Java to run I2P. I am constantly learning the system, but I don't know much.

How can I install Java so that I can run the '.jar' files with it? Or where can I find instructions for SlackBuild scripts? Maybe I need to use the search function for this.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

lurker666 wrote: 4. May 2023, 18:37 The next problem is that I don't know how to install many packages using SlackBuild.
You generally don't need to. Almost everything from SBo is in our package repositories and you can install them with gslapt/slapt-get.

In the rare case something in SBo and not in our package repos, you can use slapt-src to get it.
lurker666 wrote: 4. May 2023, 18:37 Currently I want to download and configure Java to run I2P. I am constantly learning the system, but I don't know much.
Open gslapt, search for java. You will find several zulu-openjdk packages for different versions of Java. Install the one you want. You'll probably need to restart the system to get java fully operational (you can do it without rebooting, but that's the shortest instructions I can give you).
lurker666

Post by lurker666 »

gapan wrote: 5. May 2023, 11:16
lurker666 wrote: 4. May 2023, 18:37 The next problem is that I don't know how to install many packages using SlackBuild.
You generally don't need to. Almost everything from SBo is in our package repositories and you can install them with gslapt/slapt-get.

In the rare case something in SBo and not in our package repos, you can use slapt-src to get it.
lurker666 wrote: 4. May 2023, 18:37 Currently I want to download and configure Java to run I2P. I am constantly learning the system, but I don't know much.
Open gslapt, search for java. You will find several zulu-openjdk packages for different versions of Java. Install the one you want. You'll probably need to restart the system to get java fully operational (you can do it without rebooting, but that's the shortest instructions I can give you).
I did some research and learned how to use Slackbuild. I installed several packages this way, downloaded the package and the source package from slackbuilds.org and added it manually from the terminal. By the way, do you know any way to install RiseupVPN on this system? I currently download the RiseupVPN OpenVPN files from github and run it that way. I know this is a bit of a "dumb" question, plus you helped me a lot gapan, because if you didn't help me I wouldn't have installed Salix with encryption.

Thanks again. :D
lurker666

Post by lurker666 »

gapan wrote: 5. May 2023, 11:16

Anyway, your suggestion is simpler than what I am trying to do. I'll check this out and look for packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

lurker666 wrote: 6. May 2023, 13:58 By the way, do you know any way to install RiseupVPN on this system? I currently download the RiseupVPN OpenVPN files from github and run it that way.
This is how to do it, for any VPN provider.