Boot Splash

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
woodsman

Re: Boot Splash

Post by woodsman »

Thanks for the info.

I don't pretend to understand how KMS works, but I believe you.

Okay, so most of the Slackware related tutorials regarding a boot splash are based on each end user knowing the hardware. That would explain why these tutorials succeed.

Yet I remain confused how the other distro maintainers support a boot splash. What magic are they using? Do they use exotic installation scripts to determine acceptable framebuffer modes?

What about Live CDs? How do they add a boot splash?
sphere

Post by sphere »

I don't think a distro like Salix should have a bootsplash, it should stay as vanilla as possible, like Slackware is.

Those that want a bootsplash, should investigate themselves and make their own.
lighans

Post by lighans »

sphere wrote:I don't think a distro like Salix should have a bootsplash, it should stay as vanilla as possible, like Slackware is.

I love when students say, my netbook is broken because of all these strange sentences are passing by in a speed lightning way. And then, suddenly a login screen appears. I belief some of them think that windows crashes with errors and linux is starting working when "the errors" appear. ;)

(except one who's fiddling with Arch Linux)
(I teach Biology on a secondary school, FWIW)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

lighans wrote:I love when students say, my netbook is broken because of all these strange sentences are passing by in a speed lightning way.
:mrgreen: :geek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

sphere wrote:I don't think a distro like Salix should have a bootsplash, it should stay as vanilla as possible, like Slackware is.

+1 (I'll say no more :))