Boot Splash

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Boot Splash

Post by thenktor »

mimosa wrote:but somebody like my wife would just go back to Windows.
... and live with 1000 other glitches. :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

1000 other glitches
... quite so, and so ugly too. But what she sees is a new problem like the permissions problems I've brought up on another thread ["What are these permissions things, anyway?"] that not even the family's card-carrying Linux enthusiast can solve - yet. I don't know what it is about glitches in Windows, but they almost always seem to be really annoying, but somehow more or less liveable with. Maybe that's just because after using Windows for a good while, you will have found the workarounds you need in order to keep productive, after a fashion; but my hunch is that there's more to it than that, some pernicious aspect of Microsoft's design philosophy that aims to keep the user's discontent just below the boil without aspiring to provide actual pleasure or real ease, ever.

This is all wildly off-topic, as has been pointed out. If anyone wants to open a new thread in a more suitable part of the forum to discuss Linux - and especially Salix - design philosophy and ease of use, or whatever, I'd certainly be glad to carry on the discussion there. Meanwhile, may I say that the splash screen I remember [for 13.0, presumably] was just so beautiful that for me, mere considerations of utility were overshadowed by the aesthetic.
ray

Post by ray »

mimosa wrote:This is all wildly off-topic, as has been pointed out. If anyone wants to open a new thread in a more suitable part of the forum to discuss Linux - and especially Salix - design philosophy and ease of use, or whatever, I'd certainly be glad to carry on the discussion there. Meanwhile, may I say that the splash screen I remember [for 13.0, presumably] was just so beautiful that for me, mere considerations of utility were overshadowed by the aesthetic.
I completely agree with you, i know the developers dont intend Salix to be Ubuntu, but one of the goals is to ease of use
Salix OS Homepage wrote: Salix is a linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use
and i think things like a bootsplash etc, do take Salix a step forward in that direction.
If the devs are willing, we could have a thread where we could discuss on things like this.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Salix OS Homepage wrote: Salix is a linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use
and i think things like a bootsplash etc, do take Salix a step forward in that direction.
A bootsplash just looks nice, but the distribution won't get any faster, simplier or easier to use.
ray

Post by ray »

@thenktor,

True, but scrolling messages arent the most user friendly thing either.
I dont understand what a bootsplash would take away from a distro.

In anycase, it is finally left to the developers what they think is right.
But, i think we do need a place where users can discuss/debate with the developers what can/could be on the distro.

Not entirely the Suggestions forum is the right place for this.

Cheers,
ray
Shador

Post by Shador »

Simply put the problem is that there currently is no mature solution which fits our needs and works with considerable efforts, thus we decided it is better to got without a bootsplash.
A bootsplash which requires to patch the kernel is for us no solutions, as we want to stay close to Slackware and thus don't want our own kernel package.
One that doesn't work with KMS and thus required to disable that great feature is no solution either.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Shador: thanks for repeating it again :P

And to say it clearer again:
* I don't need a bootsplash
* I want a bootsplash again because it looks nice for other users
* But only a working one!

@ ray: We can discuss everything here in the forum ;)
ray

Post by ray »

thenktor wrote:
And to say it clearer again:
* I don't need a bootsplash
* I want a bootsplash again because it looks nice for other users
* But only a working one!

@ ray: We can discuss everything here in the forum ;)
Well, why didnt you say so :D

Anyways, my intention wasnt to be rude, apologies if it did. :)

Cheers,
ray
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

No problem ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There's Misc: Other talk about Salix. I think the reason this discussion might be construed as off-topic is because the issue isn't really the boot splash, it's the philosophy underlying it; and in fact not even that, because nobody wants not to have a boot splash again some time soonish. Even though that was made clear by Akuna and more recently Shador, some of us were still moved to pontificate and reflect.

For me, a first attempt to put the question in a nutshell would be that Salix has been the distro I got along with best, even though it seems it wasn't aimed at newcomers like myself. Ubuntu, for instance, which is often cited as a distro which puts user-friendliness above other important virtues, actually gave me more trouble with its "keyrings" and other mysterious things. The iconic simplicity of Slackware, even though "simple" emphatically doesn't claim to mean straightforward for beginners, seems able to reach a quite unintended audience in the form of Salix. That feels like a good thing to me. A big part of it is certainly the very accommodating and tolerant community - very much RTM rather than RTFM, and that makes a difference if you want to win people over. Is that a desirable aim?