WIKI - articles translation

You want to have Salix in your own language? Help us translating it!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: WIKI - articles translation

Post by thenktor »

*troll mode on*
damNageHack wrote:For such problems, it is always good to have a differentiation between content and layout. Unfortunately, MediaWiki can not do this for us, content and layout definitions are mixed together to the wiki language.
Go ahead and learn 3 formatting tags of the world leading wiki engine!
damNageHack wrote:I have the idea to use DocBook XSL and xml2po/po2xml (or po2txt) for internationalization of wiki pages. DocBook is already there in repositories (Slackware package linuxdoc-tools), xml2po and po2txt still needs to be implemented somehow. poedit is already in our Salix repository.

Generation of the localized wiki pages can then be done with usage of little helper scripts: manually, half-automated or completely automated. We only need some bots for monitoring wiki changes and extraction of the texts to be translated as file types po, txt or xml. For the wiki, there will then be some XSLT files to generate the localized static pages.
Why bother with all these stuff? We just need 1-2 persons per language, that watch changes to the english page. Not a big deal, only problem is: we don't have people that are really willing to help :P BTW: fredg is doing this job for french and it's really fine.
And another thing: we are Salix, we are not Ubuntu. We don't have manpower. So never expect all wiki pages to be translated. Even more: don't expect wiki pages to be translated to other languages than the base team consists of (finnish, french, german, greek) because nobody is willing to help out for such small tasks! This leeds to point one: We need some volunteer translators in more languages!
damNageHack wrote:Advantage will be that the layout (mostly staying statically) is nearly fully independent from translation. Therefore, the translators could concentrate on their job of translation and will not have to hesitate with layout cause it is not included in their working files.
Not a big deal. People without any knowledge about computers or programming languages won't use Salix and won't help us anyway. Learn some simple mediawiki stuff!
damNageHack wrote:P.S. Here you can learn how the LXDE team solved i18n problems for their documentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/medicalwei/ho ... tionalized
Useless bla bla bla :P

*troll mode off*
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Kristho

Post by Kristho »

I have just begun translating the wiki-pages.
Is there a way to translate our mainpage? The first page the user see when they visit our website?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Kristho wrote:I have just begun translating the wiki-pages.
Is there a way to translate our mainpage? The first page the user see when they visit our website?
I think you only need to create/edit http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Home/da
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Kristho wrote:I have just begun translating the wiki-pages.
But remember: If you translate wiki pages (especially the main page) you have to keep them up to date. And please don't translate the Download page, it's quite useless and only causes trouble if we release a new version.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)