Salix translation project at Transifex

You want to have Salix in your own language? Help us translating it!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix translation project at Transifex

Post by gapan »

All translatable Salix related projects are now available for translation through Transifex: http://www.transifex.net/

What is Transifex? "Transifex is an open service allowing people to collaboratively translate software, documentation and other types of projects. Designed as a hub for translations of open source projects, Transifex supports translations straight from the project's source."

what that means is that you can now contribute translations directly to our source code repository in subversion, using the Transifex web interface. All you need to do is create a user account at Transifex and start translating.

A collection has been created in Transifex that includes all Salix related projects:
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/salix/

If you click on a project name, you will find that each project consists of one or more components. Clicking on a component will give you a list with the translation status for all languages for that specific component. You can edit existing translations using the web interface, or submit new .po files for you language from the same page. Just make sure that if you submit new files, they are named LOCALE.po, where LOCALE is the country code for your language (for example: el for Greek, pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese etc).

The overall status for all languages in all Salix projects can be viewed here:
http://www.transifex.net/collections/c/salix/r/default/

Clicking on a language will bring up a list of components that are translated and those that are not. This makes it really easy to spot missing translation strings, it would have been very difficult to do this in any other way.

We have decided to allow all users to be able to contribute translations, without the need for authorization. We're hoping we don't get any acts of vandalism like that, but everything is under svn, so we can always undo any changes to the translations. We can always choose to require authorization in the future, but we hope we don't have to do that.

Happy translating!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix translation project at Transifex

Post by thenktor »

Copied this announcement to our new subforum, too.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
zio-keepeasy

Post by zio-keepeasy »

I have a question, when i start a translation i have to :ù

1. select the trunk page
2. download the .pot file
3. modify the top of the file with my name and language
4. upload as locale.po where locale is the language
5. modify with the web interface the locale file

but when uploading the .pot file the Transifex system says:
Your file does not pass correctness checks (msgfmt -c). Your work has been mailed to you to preserve it.

What have i to do?

Thanks
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

zio-keepeasy wrote:I have a question, when i start a translation i have to :ù

1. select the trunk page

Your file does not pass correctness checks (msgfmt -c). Your work has been mailed to you to preserve it.

What have i to do?

Thanks
No. You're doing it all wrong.

- You download the .pot file.
- You launch poedit (install it) and from the file menu, you select to import the pot file. Don't just open it as a po file, use the pot file import option.
- Edit your details for the po file you're going to create in poedit.
- Translate the entries
- Save the file as: YOURLOCALE.po and upload it. YOURLOCALE should be the country code for your language.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

zio-keepeasy wrote:I have a question, when i start a translation i have to :ù

1. select the trunk page

What have i to do?

Thanks
This is exactly what I've done. With use Poedit to import the .pot file and create an empty .po file.
From that point, you have two options :
- Edit all entries directly on poedit, and upload the po file on Transifex at the end.
- Upload the quite empty po file on Transifex, and edit all entries online.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JRD wrote:This is exactly what I've done. With use Poedit to import the .pot file and create an empty .po file.
The manual way is more error prone. It's easy to not edit something properly and create a po file with errors that cannot be used.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I used poedit to create the po file, so it's not a manual way.
I just prefer to translate online than in poedit, because the interface is better and because it could try to translate automatically (which is a good start most of the time, especially with long sentences).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is no "collection" anymore in transifex, it has been renamed to "project", so the new link is: https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/salix/
seacat

Post by seacat »

I downloaded Salix » ktsuss-l10n.pot from http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/sal ... suss-l10n/ and I translated it to Spanish, but where is the submission button? (This is serious, because I submitted many translations and now I can't remember how to do it!! Maybe it's the age...). :?
Shador

Post by Shador »

Usually there's an 'Add a new translation' button (e.g. http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/depfinder/c/trunk/), but for ktsuss it's missing.
gapan?