Upcoming Slint ISOs version 14.2.1

DidierSpaier

Upcoming Slint ISOs version 14.2.1

Post by DidierSpaier »

I plan to provide new Slint ISOs shortly, version 14.2.1

They will include the fixed spkg and this will be an opportunity to provide updated packages so that the system be up to date on release day, a few fixes and maybe some tuning of the base user configuration, like setting geany instead of pluma as default text editor and not mounting removable devices by default in PCManFM, or removing Orage from lxpanel, more consistent keyboard shortcuts across WMs.

I also plan to add an LXDE desktop with FVWM as window manager, as we already have most of the needed packages, and in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc include a line sourcing one of the sbrepos provided by Alien BOB, making easier to install Eric's Chromium, VLC or Calibre packages for instance.

Comments are welcome, as usual.

PS I will include translation updates (thanks Dan-Simon for yours of pkgtools).

I would be grateful that some of the close_to_100% translations of the slint-14.2 resource be completed.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Upcoming Slint ISOs version 14.2.1

Post by djemos »

Any news of Live version?
DidierSpaier

Re: Upcoming Slint ISOs version 14.2.1

Post by DidierSpaier »

I will resume work on the Live version as soon as the 14.2.1 ISOs will be released as the Live version will include the same set of packages.

The LXDE + FVWM desktop will be available from the Slint repos through a "slapt get --install-set lxde" command, through hard links of the involved packages to an lxde sub-directory of the Slint repositories.

I will take care that folks who have installed Slint 14.2 can get the new packages and the few updated ones without breaking their system and its current setup. This needs some work as you know, and some documentation about the transition.

On the Live front, so far, I have adapted most of the building blocks to a workflow I am more comfortable with, which needed rewriting several of them in a more integrated way. I still have to test making frugal installs and compare with other workflows, like Puppy's and Eric's slaklive.

Thanks for your interest in Slint live and the help you have already provided to set it up.