Upgrade to 64bit?

Atip

Upgrade to 64bit?

Post by Atip »

Is it possible to upgrade Slint-14.2 to Slint64-14.2.1? :?:
DidierSpaier

Re: Upgrade to 64bit?

Post by DidierSpaier »

I would not call that an upgrade but anyway no, it's not possible.

What do you want to achieve doing that?

EDIT: sorry, I misread your post at first. So yes it would be an upgrade but no, it won't be possible.

I could release a Slint-14.2.1 (32 bit), but only after Slint64-14.2.1 will be released, as it's too much work to maintain two testing trees at the same time.

And, is it still worth it to provide a 32-bit version? What do you think, all?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Actually, it should be possible. But it would definitely be not easy. It would be far easier to install from scratch.

As for the 32bit version, I'd say that it becomes more irrelevant with each day, but I think there are still a lot of people that might need it. You could take a look at your downloads. If there are only very few downloads of the 32bit version, maybe it makes sense to dump it.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Thanks for answering, George.

As for my downloads, I have no idea as the ISOs are only in slackware.uk and Darren does not provide these statistics. Instead of bothering him with that, I should probably put the ISOs of 14.2 in sourceforge. Anyway my guess is I have very few downloads so far, so I'm not sure that it would be significant.

In any case I won't dump the 32 bit version of Slint-14.2 that I will try to maintain as long as Slackware 14.2 will be itself maintained, I am just considering not to provide further versions (beginning with 14.2.1) in 32 bit format.