Slint64-14.2.1rc2, last call for testing.

DidierSpaier

Re: Slint64-14.2.1rc2, last call for testing.

Post by DidierSpaier »

I was looking at the Dotnew
Manage .new system settings files.
I did renew /etc/inittab and runlevel was set to 3 instead of 4.
I changed it back. .
Actually the only change intended when updating the package sysvinit-scripts was that of /etc/rc.d/rc.4, but it happens that /etc/inittab is shipped in the same package, that's why it got a .new.
I new that would happen since I had a look first at inittab.new
Is that the idea of Dotnew? :?:
The recommended way of using dotnew is to first use its "diff" or "vimdiff" feature to check the change on each file listed, and only then choose what to do about it.

In case you wrongly upgraded instead of deleting the new file, you still have a backup of the old one with a .orig extension that you can copy over the upgraded one, case occurring. In this specific case you could alternatively have run runlevelconfig and chosen the Graphical mode.
If I would renew /etc/passwd I would have no more password.
/etc/passwd would get a .new only if the package etc that ships it was updated. We will try very hard not to!

This notwhithstanding I will test in a VM to see what would happen then, just out of curiosity.
Further, does this error have any signiificance as for passwords?

Code: Select all

$ /usr/sbin/nscd
/usr/sbin/nscd: relocation error: /usr/sbin/nscd: symbol __res_maybe_init, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
This error, that I can't reproduce, has nothing to do with passwords.

PS at first I mistakenly edited your last post instead of answering it. I hope I have now restored it properly, sorry about that.