Slint got a beginner-friendly installer.

DidierSpaier

Re: Slint got a beginner-friendly installer.

Post by DidierSpaier »

hugok wrote: 28. Feb 2021, 18:04 In the same resource 'setup', when the next string is presented:

"Would you like to reboot your system?

If you choose No, you will be dropped to a shell."

Should we translate the word "No"?
Not sure about this one, it's using the --yesno option of dialog. I will test to check
hugok

Post by hugok »

Ok, thank you Didier.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
hugok

Post by hugok »

The translations of the new beginner-friendly installer will only be included in version "15" or a 14.2... iso will be created with our translations?
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I will provide a new ISO for 14.2.1 when most if not all translations will be available, so hopefully in a few weeks if not days.

So you won't have to wait until (next year?) :D
DidierSpaier

Slint migrates from Transifex to Crowdin

Post by DidierSpaier »

I am migrating translation files from Transifex to Crowdin: https://crwd.in/slint

Rationale:
  • Crowdin is more accessible to the blind and we have already three volunteers blind translators.
  • Crowdin provides its own machine translation (MT) engine, which proposes several translations of each source string or message. You can just pick one and edit it as need be. I used that to translate 'auto' to French and it saved me a lot of time! Not all languages are supported yet, but most are.
I have already uploaded the source and translations files of auto, setup and rc.S (in their state on Transifex at time of writing) to Crowdin.

From now on, please use Crowdin, just following https://crwd.in/slint. You will be requested either to sign up, or just to log in with Facebook, Google, Twitter, GitHub or GitLab.

You may continue to translate off line if you prefer, but then please then upload the translations to Crowdin.

The platform has an extensive documentation.

Please use preferably the #slint channel on irc.freenode.net for any question or issue. Thanks!
hugok

Post by hugok »

Hi Didier.

I've been using crowdin for some time to translate other projects such as ublock origin, palemoon, poedit, etc.

Only my nickname it's different there “hugok79”

Regarding permissions to save translations? Can I do that already?
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi Hugo,

Yes you can. And your displayed name in crowdin includes your first and last names followed by (hugok79) so confusion is not possible.

Have a good day,
Didier
phlix
Donor

Post by phlix »

Hi Didier,

first of all: thanks for the great distro which I came across quite randomly:
I was searching on LQs Slackware forum about how to install Slackware 14.2 on my nvme drive, where I found your fake-slackware64-14.2-4.iso post which worked out great.
After installing Slackware successfully I took a deeper look at your website slint.fr and decided to wipe my freshly installed Slackware installation, reformat the SSD and take „the Slint way“. :D
As a long term debian user I think I‘ll have to adapt some of my habits but I guess I‘ll work out. :)

Now on-topic:
I‘ve submitted some missing German translations (and adapted some of the ones already existing) via Crowdin.

Best regards,
Felix
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi Felix,

I have seen a few messages you translated and re-translated them to French using deepl.com. They look good to me!

Thanks for your introduction and your participation to the Slint project.

To get acquained to Slint vs Debian, have a look at the included documentation, just typing slint-doc in a consale or a graphical terminal. As Salix we use the slap-get utility for package management.

Did you use the new Auto feature of the installer, and if yes did you like it?

Best regards,
Didier
phlix
Donor

Post by phlix »

Hi Didier,
DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Mar 2021, 13:13 I have seen a few messages you translated and re-translated them to French using deepl.com. They look good to me!

Thanks for your introduction and your participation to the Slint project.
:)
DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Mar 2021, 13:13 To get acquained to Slint vs Debian, have a look at the included documentation, just typing slint-doc in a consale or a graphical terminal. As Salix we use the slap-get utility for package management.
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to read it.
I like the idea of having an offline-available documentation that guides me trough the most important aspects of the new system.
The text-based user interface makes it even easier/more pleasant to use than looking for the README_TOPIC.TXT files that could be interesting.
The documentation provided during installation was also very helpful (especially the section "First steps after installation of a Slint system" - it's nice to know what is recommended directly after installation :)).
DidierSpaier wrote: 13. Mar 2021, 13:13 Did you use the new Auto feature of the installer, and if yes did you like it?
Yes, I chose 'auto' as installation mode.
It worked flawlessly: after not even 30 minutes I had a fully encrypted system where everything worked out of the box on my Lenovo Thinkpad X270 (like uefi, brightness/volume/keyboard-backlight keys, wifi, bluetooth, webcam) with a recent kernel and an up-to-date, versatile software stack.
If I compare that to installing Slackware 14.2: I had to carefully read the README_CRYPT.TXT and README_UEFI.TXT documents and spend a lot of time for it (like doing "research" for installation on nvme drive, flashing your patched installer to an additional usb flashdrive) - also after installation in order to get my wifi-card (Intel 8260) working as it requires a newer kernel version and firmware-modules than the ones shipped with Slackware 14.2 and then applying all available patches.
So short answer: yes, I like it. You've done some amazing work here. :D

Best regards,
Felix