slint64-15.0 release candidate ISO is available for testing.

DidierSpaier

Re: slint64-15.0 release candidate ISO is available for testing.

Post by DidierSpaier »

hugok wrote: 24. Sep 2022, 14:58 @Didier It is possible to install Slint with a DOS/MBR partition table with just a root partition with ext4 and a swap partition? Is the bios_boot Partition 32MB required?
Not yet using the RC ISO (I just checked in a VM) but it should. Fortunately this is easy fix just adding a condition to a test (done in the VM)

However, I am not sure I take care of including the swap partition in /etc/fstab. I will check after the end of installation in the VM and post the outcome in this thread. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Follow-up:
  • Installation was successful and the system started OK after installation.
  • Some error messages were displayed as I booted the VM in Legacy mode so grub-install failed when run with the --target=x86_64-efi. I just should not run it for this target in this case, but only with --target=386-pc, which succeeded.
  • The swap partition was not listed in /etc/fstab. I will not change that now, as I have seen some cases where lsblk wrongly listed a partition type as swap. The user in that case will just need to write a line for the swap partition after installation. It is easy enough to find on the world wide web how to set up a swap partition, I think.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Didier, if i can say a thought. I use bilkid in the sli to add swap in fstab.

This add in fstab only the swap that user has create at installation time.
for SWAPD in $(blkid | grep $installdevice | grep TYPE="\"swap\"" |cut -d: -f1) ; do
echo "Enabling swapping to '$SWAPD'"
echo "$SWAPD swap swap defaults 0 0" >> /mnt/install/etc/fstab
done

removing "| grep $installdevice" above, all swap partitions found are added in fstab

for SWAPD in $(blkid | grep TYPE="\"swap\"" |cut -d: -f1) ; do
echo "Enabling swapping to '$SWAPD'"
echo "$SWAPD swap swap defaults 0 0" >> /mnt/install/etc/fstab
done
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Thanks for the input Dimitris.

I could do something like that, but are we sure that if the output of blkid includes "TYPE=swap" this is true? Anyway as the question arise for manual partitioning mode I would consider to ask a confirmation by the user, and expect that he or she has used mkswap for this partition.

The reason I have not considered a swap partition so far is that we use swap in zram instead plus a swap file of size 1G.

So if the machine has 2G of RAM (the minimum allowed to install Slint-15.0) "free -th" says that the RAM has a size of 1.9 Gi but adds to this 4.9 Gi of swap (3.9Gi for the zstd compressed ramdisk plus 1 Gi for the swap file).
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Yes, when I think there is no risk doing that I sometimes package from a git tree at a given commit. "git checkout" is my friend. :D

This is helpful if new features are worth it or security fixes are provided after the latest versioned release or tag. GRUB is a good example; Daniel Kiper is know to not release often, but at the same time does not commit before intensive review and testing: it is not unusual that developers need to provide several versions of a patches set before it be accepted.

PS Instead of doing that other distributions like Debian package a release + a zillion patches, some cherry picked from the source tree. But Debian has often several maintainers or contributors for one package, Slint only one maintainer for all packages, so...
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

I use what Salckware does for git when I need it
kernel-firmware-20160628git-noarch-1 and now kernel-firmware-20220124_eb8ea1b-noarch-1

it's going to be difficult https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... og-5.19.12 it's not an easy kernel.

PS; I have long believed that Debian was full of bugs such as the inability to mount a file.iso on Debian 10, for 3 years I have been recovering their annual iso, there were more and more "bugs" and no it's their "security" patch :lol: :lol: :lol:
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I have packaged linux-5.19.11 for Slint 15.0, but will not ship 5.19.2 in the official release. I will wait to see if bugs or issues are reported before upgrading.
DidierSpaier

Re: slint64-15.0 release candidate 2 ISO is available.

Post by DidierSpaier »

Now rc2, stable slint64-15.0 coming soon :D

Please read the README-rc2 before updating

Many changes are mentioned in this ChangeLog. Have fun!
hugok

Post by hugok »

Nice :D Thanks Didier
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79