slint64-15.0 release candidate ISO is available for testing.

DidierSpaier

slint64-15.0 release candidate ISO is available for testing.

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello,

If you want to help version 15.0 become the best Slint release ever, please read:TESTING

The installer is available in English, Dutch, French, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, huge thanks to our translators!

The documentation inside the installer is also translated: just typing "doc" during installation displays the relevant information extracted from the HandBook in the w3m pager/web browser, in the language in use, with a fallback to English.

EDIT: works in all languages but English as a file is missing in the installer. :oops: I have edited TESTING to mention that.

In the installed system, typing "slint-doc" displays the full HandBook in the locale set in $LANG, in w3m in console mode, in Firefox in a graphical environment.

If you had no idea what to do this week end, now you know ;)

Cheers,
Didier
hugok

Re: slint64-15.0 release candidate ISO is available for testing.

Post by hugok »

Great news Didier!

I have already downloaded the ISO. I'll try to install and test it tomorrow (now in Portuguese :D )
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
hugok

Post by hugok »

Hi Didier, just a quick review of the recent Slint 15.0 RC, it was quick because my son is all over me :roll: :D :D

Slint boots fine, hit Enter at Grub and selected Portuguese (Portugal) wich also work fine :D

Booting from Slint I always get this message:
Loading the kernel and installer initrd. Please wait...
vga=normal is deprecated. useset gfxpayload=text before linux command instead.

It doesn't interfere in any way, but just for the record.

In the welcome screen(console)
Typing doc everything works great and the documentation is in Portuguese, went to the bottom of the documentation with the arrow key to read all and then hit q to quit and go back to the previous screen.
Then type start to begin the installation and choose auto pressing a.
Choose the all 149GB of the HDD to root partition. This was what i get:

Passwords and user name creation all works great.
Wi-Fi detection also works great but before the installation it tries to get the latest packages and i got i quick error about saying os-prober-181... or something is corrupted... It was fast and I don´t catch all... :?

However, Slint installer begins installing the packages....
Choose install with a description per line....

All went well but i saw this $pkgname thing instead of the name of the package...

It was nice to see that libreoffice-l10n-pt Portuguese and aspell-pt_PT were installed by default.

In the end of the installation when choosing the desktop environment/Window manager this appears:
fvwm
lxqt
mate
wmaker
A sua escolha: lxqt <-- (in Portuguese, my desktop choice)
lxqt has been chosen.
Running update_all. Please be patient...

The last text, after lxqt is in English.... is this normal?

Anyway, the installation is very intuitive :D
I restarted the system....

First boot went well
In ligthdm-greeter:

because of:

Edit the lightdm-greeter to become more centered:

Both mate and lxqt performs well, just needs a little tweaking in appearance and everything is to our liking.
For e.g this mixture of dark with light in lxqt not the most pleasant to look at by default:

Some more screenshots...

LXQt

mate

Typing slint-doc pt_PT in the terminal: :D

If I have time I will try to report any bugs I find....

Cheers
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello Hugo,

thanks for this quick and well illustrated report!

Just a few comments/answers below:
hugok wrote: 17. Sep 2022, 14:37 Booting from Slint I always get this message:
Loading the kernel and installer initrd. Please wait...
vga=normal is deprecated. useset gfxpayload=text before linux command instead.

It doesn't interfere in any way, but just for the record.
This is a harmless warning. If I remember well the setting gfxpaylod=text doesn't work well in one of the installation modes (BIOS or UEFI) but the installer is set to allow booting the installed system in both modes, so I left it as is. I will re-check.
Wi-Fi detection also works great but before the installation it tries to get the latest packages and i got i quick error about saying os-prober-181... or something is corrupted... It was fast and I don´t catch all... :?
This has been already reported. Actually this package should not be installed from the web, but I forgot to tag it with slint, like os-prober-1.81-x86_64-1slint.txz which made the installer try to get it this way, also, maybe there is an issue with the command I use to fetch the packages from the mirrors. Fixing the tag in the repository is easy, I am investigating the possible downloading issue.

To help investigate booting issues, I have added this to TESTING
If installation was completed all installation files and logs are stored in the directory
/var/log/INSTALLER in the installed system and also in the compressed archive /var/log/INSTALLER.xz
that can be sent by email to help diagnose installation issues.
All went well but i saw this $pkgname thing instead of the name of the package...

Yes. I am aware of this one and there are other issues with packages' descriptions, but I didn't want to solve all the minor remaining issues before releasing the RC, otherwise it would have been delayed indefinitely... So my rule of thumb was "if an issue does not prevent to install then run the system, take care of it after the RC".
The last text, after lxqt is in English.... is this normal?
Normal maybe no, expected, yes. I didn't internationalize these last messages yet, that's why as you can see at the bottom of the script /var/log/INSTALLER/functions. I will try to fix issues like not internationalized strings and typos in the source files (including the ones you reported n Crowdin) before the official release of Slint 15.0.
Both mate and lxqt performs well, just needs a little tweaking in appearance and everything is to our liking.
For e.g this mixture of dark with light in lxqt not the most pleasant to look at by default:
Indeed I am not the best designer on earth, to say it kindly... Any proposal to enhance the look of these desktops is welcome.

Cheers,
Didier

PS Wondering is there any open-source project for which you do not provide the translation into Portuguese??? Keep up the good work!
PPS: you do not have to type "slint-doc pt_PT", just typing "slint-doc" will display the HandBook in Portugese as you have LANG set to pt_PT.utf8.
hugok

Post by hugok »

Thank you for the explanations Didier.

PS I have lost count of all the open source projects I have provided translation into Portuguese, I'm all over the place :roll:
I even translate systemd :o https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/po/pt.po and make minor fixes https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/po/LINGUAS
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

hugok

Post by hugok »

mpv doesn´t open,
From the terminal:
mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libshaderc_shared.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

System Tools "GTK apps" like salix-gtk-tools, lightdm greeter settings.... that needs root privileges doesn't open when i type the correct root password.
Give me an acess denied.
But it opens from the terminal

Gparted opens fine.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Thanks again fr your report, Hugo.
hugok wrote: 18. Sep 2022, 10:05 mpv doesn´t open,
From the terminal:
mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libshaderc_shared.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"slapt-get -i vulkan-sdk" will solve this issue.
It looks like I forgot to run my script deps_not_found.sh after last removal of packages... Will do it now and mention in the TESTING document that it need to be installed this way and others also missing case occurring. EDIT: done.

For your information I did not include vulkan-sdk (which is a Slackware package) in the RC ISO wrongly assuming that we did not need it and because it is huge (128M) un compressed. But looking as how Arch packages mpv it could be that we need only a subset of the files provided by vulkan-sdk.
System Tools "GTK apps" like salix-gtk-tools, lightdm greeter settings.... that needs root privileges doesn't open when i type the correct root password.
Give me an acess denied.
I tried in a fresh Qemu VM and had no issue, from the applications menu of both LXQt and MATE and also from the Slint Control Center. Will try again on bare metal.

As an aside, i was unable to cook a .desktop to start "slint-doc" graphically, whatever I put in the exec= line failed. Help appreciated. The slint-doc script is in /usr/bin.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

DidierSpaier wrote: 18. Sep 2022, 12:11
Give me an acess denied.
I tried in a fresh Qemu VM and had no issue, from the applications menu of both LXQt and MATE and also from the Slint Control Center. Will try again on bare metal.

As an aside, i was unable to cook a .desktop to start "slint-doc" graphically, whatever I put in the exec= line failed. Help appreciated. The slint-doc script is in /usr/bin.
As posted in the mailing list, please update your system typing as root or using sudo:

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade
removepkg libgksu
and let us know the outcome.
hugok

Post by hugok »

Hi Didier,

I also read the mailing list email...
I did what you said.

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade
removepkg libgksu
Everything seems to be working fine now!

I've been testing Slint15.0RC in a way that could be creating bugs through my fault. :twisted:
I also installed Slint in an external usb HDD so sometimes strange bugs can occur...
I remember that this permission denied error started happening after I was removing and adding new users...

PS Sorry by the Linux Mint icon at the Application menu, I installed mint-x-icons :roll:
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

hugok

Post by hugok »

@Didier It is possible to install Slint with a DOS/MBR partition table with just a root partition with ext4 and a swap partition? Is the bios_boot Partition 32MB required?
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator