Post by zAchAry »

Congratulations!

Typo at slackel.gr "Bracero".
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
hakerdefo

Re: Congratulations djemos on Slackel 1.0 "Openbox"

Post by hakerdefo »

jayseye wrote:Yes, I'd love to have a LiveCD / LiveUSB version :cool:
You wanted a slackware-current based distro with a light DE, didn't you jayseye? It's a kind of dream come true for you. Wishing djemos all the luck for the success of slackel-openbox. I'm sure it will be everybit as good as slackel-KDE. I'll be downloading the image as soon as possible. One thing i noticed in the release announcement was the inclusion of spaceFM. To me it is much much better than pcmanFM and even Thunar. And i hope djemos will release the live images of slackel-openbox at earliest. One thing i also noticed while visiting the slackel website is that amount of information in english is lacking. For example the faq and other sections are only in greek. I hope people with the knowledge of greek-english will come forward and help djemos with the english documentation task. Salix is also from greece yet it has excellent english documentation so it means that there are plenty of people in this forum who can help slackel with english translation and i hope they will help. Cheers!!!
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

zAchAry wrote:Congratulations!

Typo at slackel.gr "Bracero".
zAchAry-the-eagle-eyed ;)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Thank you all.

I have to thank Salix team members and Salix packagers. Without salix tools and salix packages and work of all salix developers, Slackel openbox based on current brunch of slackware could not be ready.

I have to thank also fredg, gapan, JRD for checking the packages for openbox. If i forget anyone else to mention, i apologise. :)
Soon a Salix openbox stable release based on stable (14.0) branch of slackware will be ready. Salix is a stable release not a testing environment as Slackel so need more care.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I appreciate the pre-built razor-qt package in gslapt as well as qupzilla, qterminal and qmmp. I hope your Salix release will also include these as well as qutim. I see you have also fixed the opening of applications requiring root privileges in razorqt.
ImageImage
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

No, because of qt (is 150MB) Salix openbox could not fit on 700MB cd.
It will be, i hope, a razorqt dvd edition for salix.
if you like to have salix icon on the left as on all salix editions then make a copy of old icon
cp /usr/share/razor/themes/ambiance/mainmenu.svg /usr/share/razor/themes/ambiance/mainmenu.svg-bak
and copy salix.svg over mainmenu.svg
cp /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/salix.svg /usr/share/razor/themes/ambiance/mainmenu.svg
For ambiance theme

if you will use the green theme then copy the salix.png
cp /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/salix.png /usr/share/razor/themes/green/mainmenu.png
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

how about an ax?
or maybe scissors would be better for pruning a bonzai.
ImageImage
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Yes, you're absolutely right hakerdefo. What I meant, and should have written was, "I'd also love a LiveCD / LiveUSB version." :wink: Got Slackel Openbox happily running here on a very old laptop last night...

I have been promoting Slackel, including this new Openbox version, much more actively on Google Plus than here. Actually I'd previously cobbled together some lite versions using XFCE and Fluxbox. Dimitris (djemos) has been helpful and encouraging here in the Salix Forum, as well as on G+, on his own forum at slackel.gr, and via private e-mail.

A live version would be useful for testing hardware compatibility before installation, particularly on old laptops. As an alternative I've been working to create a fully installed "portable" version, bootable from an external USB drive. Am in the process of learning enough about grub and syslinux to be dangerous. :cool: