Slackel 6.0.7 "Live Openbox"

djemos
Salix Warrior

Slackel 6.0.7 "Live Openbox"

Post by djemos »

Slackel 6.0.7 Live Openbox has been released. Slackel is based on Slackware current and Salix.

You can download and read more here
DidierSpaier

Re: Slackel 6.0.7 "Live Openbox"

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi Dimitris,

I gave it a shot in a VirtualBox VM (I did that because I wanted to install it and have no spare partition).

Looks nice, congrats!

A small (and solved) issue: I chose "install" in the live system, used the custom tool to partition the virtual hard disk and installed grub as suggested, but after a reboot the VM didn't boot. I solved that restarting the live system, mounting the system partition, chrooting to it and running liloconfig. Maybe this issue occurs only in VMs? Maybe I just forgot to make the root partition bootable, though.

Other than that I see that you use fbpanel. I tried it for upcoming Slint 14.2, but I prefer lxpanel that is easily configured with a localized GUI (no need to manually edit a config file) and has the same features as mate-panel, with much less dependencies. See the pic on this post: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost5606972 and also this article (a bit old, but still...) http://www.pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html.

Take care,

Didier

PS I just sent you a pic of slackel + lxpanel. I checked: that in Slackel you just need need "keybinder" (in the L series in Slackware) to build lxpanel as you already have lxmenu-data and libfm.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Hi, Didier

I use vmware for creating and testing 32 and 64 bit salix and slackel isos. It is much better than virtual box.

Since you used liloconfig i suppose you used the 32bit slackel live iso.
I also have Oracle Virtual box 5.0.14 r105127 installed. So i used Virtual box to create a 16GB disk space and boot slackellive-6.0.6-32bit live iso.
I run slackel-live-installer and using gparted created a msdos partition table and 3 partitions, /dev/sda1 in ext4 filelystem, for installing the system, /dev/sda2 in ext4 filesystem for /home and /dev/sda3 2048MB for swap. I did not made the sda1 bootable.
I set root password and user name and user password and made a full installation, using grub as boot manager. Installation finished and reboot the system and grub menu appeared and booted in new installed system.
There was no problem.

I already made a lxpanel package it needs a newer libfm version 1.4.2 to compiled. I have used in the past lxpanel but need work to fix it to be ready for slackel.
And the look for the theme etc. I had tried to use it in the past when i was looking for a panel but then had a lot of deps and it was not what i want. It is much better now. I will test it and see for future releases.

I did not receive your pic.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

djemos wrote:I did not receive your pic.
It was refused at your address @ slackel.gr so I forwarded it to your address @ gmail.com

PS instead of the black background in the pic (this is a png image) you can use a color (with opacity) or just use the system theme.