djemos
Salix Warrior

Slackel Openbox Plays Hard to Get

Post by djemos »

DidierSpaier

Re: Slackel Openbox Plays Hard to Get

Post by DidierSpaier »

Nice to read about Slackel :)

Meanwhile I want to provide an LXDE deskop for Slint I have replaced OpenBox (default WM in LXDE) by FVWM, which is by far the best WM in my opinion (see linked pic). It works, and provides the settings and features expected of a full featured desktop. I am ready to help you cook a Slackel LXDE edition.

I also consider shipping MATE 1.18 (I installed the packages built by Willy). Maybe I will provide alternate Slint ISOs with LXDE (incluing FVWM), MATE and XFCE (possibly as well lighter WMs), but without KDE. What do you think?

http://slint.fr/testing/Images/slint_lxde_with_fvwm.png
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Slackel Openbox Plays Hard to Get

Post by djemos »

When i started slackel on 2001, i had used kde. It was light then. When kde become hungry on resources, i developed slackel openbox. Window Managers is a matter of taste. I prefer openbox than fluxbox. I like mate also. Others prefer kde. That's why, even if i don't use kde, anymore, i provide a kde iso for users want it.
To maintain a distro, which has to be stable also, using many window managers is tired and need a lot of time. I use slackel openbox which is light for my personal everyday use. Even on slackel which is based on slackware current, the time used for solving problems is too much. Things can break easily after an upgrade on slackware current.
Of course it is a good idea to provide lxde, mate and xfce slint isos. If you have the time to do it.