Salix Warrior

Re: Slackel 7.0 Openbox

Post by mimosa »

Great stuff, djemos!
Atip

Post by Atip »

Upgraded to 7.0. All went smooth.

Does it make sense to put kernel-4.9.30-* into Salix and slackware?
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

As a rule of thumb, keep the kernel shipped in the ISO until/unless an upgrade is provided for the same distribution version, or if you need a newer kernel to better handle your hardware.

So for instance if you run Slackware version 14.2, you should be running 4.4.38, not 4.9.30.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

However, I seem to remember there was some problem with that kernel, that is, a general problem; I'm no longer sure what. On my main machine, I therefore have a slightly more recent one. I'm on the road at the moment, and reinstalled 14.2 on my laptop. I'm running it with the latest kernel from current, but perhaps in would be wise to downgrade.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

mimosa wrote:However, I seem to remember there was some problem with that kernel, that is, a general problem; I'm no longer sure what.
If you remember please give details about this problem.
On my main machine, I therefore have a slightly more recent one. I'm on the road at the moment, and reinstalled 14.2 on my laptop. I'm running it with the latest kernel from current, but perhaps in would be wise to downgrade.
Well, only you can tell. However having both kernels installed (4.4.38 and 4.9.30 at time of writing) wouldn't hurt just in case, if you have enough space on a mass storage device.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

I use Slackel 7.0 already (most of my computers have both Salix and Slackel installed). I just upgraded older Slackel installations - in one case, I installed the new version from scratch. It just works great.

Thank you, djemos!
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Papasot wrote:I use Slackel 7.0 already (most of my computers have both Salix and Slackel installed). I just upgraded older Slackel installations - in one case, I installed the new version from scratch. It just works great.

Thank you, djemos!
Thank you Papasot. :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

IMPORTANT:
1. Because of a bug in install_on_usb.sh script the size of EFI partition, in a ext3 formatted USB stick, is smaller than the real size is needed. So download this updated version of the install_on_usb.sh script and use it to complete the installation in usb.

2. For users want to use the GUI installer to install the iso on usb have to download and install this new version of slackware-live.

Code: Select all

sudo spkg -i slackware-live-0.5.3-noarch-3dj.txz
Or run these commands to do it without download the file.

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i slackware-live
And next can run the gui installer.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

Just installed on a virtual machine and the first thing that caught my eye - it says that it is version 6.7.

Did I understand correctly that Slackel can only be installed on ext3?
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"