djemos
Salix Warrior

Slackel 7.3 beta1

Post by djemos »

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Slackel 7.3 beta1

Post by mimosa »

I put it on a USB stick using the script and all went well. In use, I see some problems with font rendering on the menus and so on.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Thanks. I suppose you talk about mate edition.
I installed it also in a usb using instonusb gui utility and i found no problem with fonts but i could not connect to wifi. Then i saw that some packages were corrupted when downloaded. So i will download all packages and recreate the iso again.

Edit: I recreated the iso and rsync on sourceforge.I put it on a usb and i checked all packages. wifi is working, fonts are ok.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It was the Openbox edition I downloaded, sorry, I should have said. I connected easily to wifi (I have had problems with earlier versions of Salix and Slackel Live) and browsed a little in Firefox.

I'll try to take a screenshot.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

These menu items resolve on mouse hover, but this doesn't happen in some other places.

That doesn't seem to have embedded, here is the link:
https://ibb.co/gWSS5KY
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Yes. While in vmware fonts look fine booting from iso i see the same problem in slackel openbox booting from usb
This not happen with gdm and slackel mate which is working fine from usb or in wmware.
If i use slim or lxdm fonts rendering is ok in slackel openbox.
Also in my system slackel openbox, i see that booting in x from init 3 with startx fonts lookk fine but not with init4 and gdm.
Maybe gdm is old and if i will not fix it i will use slim which is simple.
So i do not have any idea why this happens and even i tried to fix it i could not.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That looks weird. Can you try running

Code: Select all

sudo update-all
perhaps followed by a restart?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Hello George.
I did it and nothing changes. Problem exists. This also happened on my laptop which i use for everyday use. I use slim now.
I cannot figure out why this happens. In slackel mate gdm is working fine.

Edit: In mate booting with live usb, then log out and click on language on gdm login screen, gdm greeter crashes. So even in mate gdm also has problems.

So i looked at all openbox packages even recompiled them and gdm but i cannot solve the problem.
So i use slim for next slackel-openbox version. gdm also exists but slim is the default. user can use gdm if he likes and do not have problems with font rendering.
Since slackel is a "rolling" release and upgrades happen everyday in slackware's current tree, it is not worth to wait so i will release slackel openbox with slim as default login manager.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It would probably be a good idea to try a newer version of GDM. We're not going to keep the ancient GDM that is in 14.2 for the next release anyway.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I saw that newer versions require gnome. I did not had time to look at newer versions.
Slim is simple, just one file, supports autologin. Of cource not rich as gdm but does the job.

Slackel 7.3 openbox has been released