7.4 Can not start X, lilo can not find vmlinuz

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: 7.4 Can not start X, lilo can not find vmlinuz

Post by djemos »

salix_user post wrote:sudo bash -x ./install_on_usb.sh --usb /home/user/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /dev/sdb
Then you done a frugal install which is working for sure. It is tested.
By the way i am doing some tests for a real installation on usb stick using elilo. I will come back with details after test complete. Even i do not use elilo.

Edit: slackware-live has been updated so (e)lilo can used to boot from external ssd disk or usb stick after real installation.
salix_user

Post by salix_user »

djemos wrote: 7. Mar 2021, 20:31
salix_user post wrote:sudo bash -x ./install_on_usb.sh --usb /home/user/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /dev/sdb
Then you done a frugal install which is working for sure. It is tested.
By the way i am doing some tests for a real installation on usb stick using elilo. I will come back with details after test complete. Even i do not use elilo.
I mean that the way described in your how-to leads to the problem shown om my screenshot.
I did not do a real usb installation. I used steps from your README_INSTALL_ON_USB.TXT
It worked with previous Slackel's releases, but for now it does not wok.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I have a lenovo g50-80 laptop. I used a kingston usb3.0 usb stick. I did the frugal installation from slackel64 7.4 installed on lenovo using
mkdir /tmp/iso
sudo mount -o loop /home/user/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /tmp/iso
sudo sh /tmp/iso/boot/install_on_usb.sh --usb /home/user/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /dev/sdb
sudo umount /tmp/iso
reboot and boot with usb successfully
then i reboot and boot in ubuntu i have it in the laptop to check using a different distro.

I typed from there
mkdir /tmp/iso
sudo mount -o loop /path_to_slackel_iso/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /tmp/iso
sudo bash /tmp/iso/boot/install_on_usb.sh --usb /path_to_slackel_iso/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /dev/sdb
sudo umount /tmp/iso
reboot and boot with usb successfully
So something is wrong with your usb stick maybe. It is in good condition?
miredia

Post by miredia »

djemos wrote: 10. Jan 2021, 16:32 ... You have to uncheck grub and check elilo when installing. Not both. I use grub as default. Grub is much better than elilo. Also all slackel tools for upgrading kernel etc use grub.
I did not have that choice while installing Slackware and Salix... wish that I did. Otherwise pretend I'm going into Manjaro MATE and choose either of them so I could see everything without screen warping even for two seconds. :crying:
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

miredia wrote: 13. Nov 2022, 01:02
djemos wrote: 10. Jan 2021, 16:32 ... You have to uncheck grub and check elilo when installing. Not both. I use grub as default. Grub is much better than elilo. Also all slackel tools for upgrading kernel etc use grub.
I did not have that choice while installing Slackware and Salix... wish that I did. Otherwise pretend I'm going into Manjaro MATE and choose either of them so I could see everything without screen warping even for two seconds. :crying:
You have that choice using salixlive-xfce-15.0.iso to do the installation.
miredia

Post by miredia »

Hi djemos. I was able to choose "grub" package from "GSlapt" and do the commands on the terminal. One thing is that Salix identifies itself as "Slackware 15.0 64-bit" which is a bit confusing. The important thing is that it works. Thank you for replying to me.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

miredia wrote: 15. Nov 2022, 06:24 One thing is that Salix identifies itself as "Slackware 15.0 64-bit" which is a bit confusing. The important thing is that it works. Thank you for replying to me.
install grub-scripts then type

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/default/grub.new /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub
If you want to enable the detection of other installed operating systems using os-prober then edit /etc/default/grub and set the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
and run again
sudo update-grub
miredia

Post by miredia »

djemos wrote: 18. Nov 2022, 20:29 install grub-scripts then type

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/default/grub.new /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub
If you want to enable the detection of other installed operating systems using os-prober then edit /etc/default/grub and set the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
and run again
sudo update-grub
Hi djemos. I'm sorry if it looked like an insult what I wrote earlier (and taking this off-topic) about the installer in Slackel. The only thing I wanted to point out is the dialog was crowded. It had an option to create a live install with persistence, and another option to install to hard disk, is this correct? That confused me the most. That's why I said I preferred the "text-mode" installer like the "install-DVD" of Slackware.

Thank you for taking some time to assist me.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

In SLI (slackel live installer) using the left area can create a live usb but cannot use persistent. Using the area in the right, can install the iso to hard disk or to the external ssd disk or usb stick (real installation).
If you want to create a live usb and create a persistent file then use the instonusb gui tool. It is used for slackel and salix.
Read the slackel_startup_guide