7.4 Can not start X, lilo can not find vmlinuz

PelleB

7.4 Can not start X, lilo can not find vmlinuz

Post by PelleB »

I have tried to install 7.4 to hard disk, the installation runs OK, but when booting the system with elilo I get

Code: Select all

elilo.c (line77): kernel file not found (vmlinuz
. Booting with refind and, after reinstalling, with grub works fine until starting X.

Code: Select all

......[    24.447] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[    24.447] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[    24.447] (--) using VT number 4

[    24.450] (WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de1287 at 01@00:00:0
[    24.450] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    24.450] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    24.450] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    24.450] vesa: Refusing to run on UEFI
[    24.450] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    24.450] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    24.450] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
[    24.450] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    24.450] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[    24.450] (EE) 
When running live from an USB-stick there were absolutely no problems with the graphics. My card is a NVIDIA GK208B (GeForce GT 730)

Per B.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: 7.4 Can not start X, lilo can not find vmlinuz

Post by djemos »

I did an installation to vmware of slackel64-7.4 using elilo as bootloader. After installation i reboot and boot with elilo in X. There is no problem using elilo as bootloader.
I do not have a nvidia card. So i cannot tell what is wrong in your case. But either grub or elilo is working fine. The broblem rebooting with lilo is a different one. You have to uncheck grub and check elilo when installing. Not both. I use grub as default. Grub is much better than elilo. Also all slackel tools for upgrading kernel etc use grub.

As for nvidia problem, i do not have a nvidia card to test it.
Just delete the nouveau blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d./
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d./BLACKLIST-nouveau.conf
And see if problem solved.

This "Refusing to run on UEFI" is strange.
How you did the installation. Did you create an EFI 300MB fat32 partition and signed boot,esp? After this create an ext4 partition for linux and one for home (it is not necessary). And a swap linux partition. If there is already an EFI on /dev/sda1 from another linux installation no need to create it. It will be used at installation time.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Well, when installing, I first tried to install without grub and elilo, but then the installer would not run. I have refind, so I do not need them. So I did choose elilo for the first installation. When nothing worked I did a new installation from scratch (formatting the partition first). There was an efi-partition from start, I have two other systems on that computer already. I did not create a separate home partition.

So now I deleted the blacklist-file and everything works with grub and refind. I had forgotten all about the blacklist thing.

There was another problem when booting the live USB-stick, both my imac (from 2008) and refind sees it as a legacy system and can not boot it.

Thanks!

Per B
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

When booting the live USB-stick in my lenovo laptop i press power on and then fn+F12 to go to boot menu and there i see usb-stick appeared twice. One as uefi and another as legacy usb-stick. This is because EFI/BOOT folder exists with an initrd.gz and also boot folder with syslinux folder exists on USB-stick with the same initrd.gz file. So usb can boot in both cases as uefi usb or legacy usb. In first option elilo menu appeared while in second option the syslinux menu appeared. In both cases USB-stick boot fine.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Well, it confuses some computers... It is no problem for me, I just reported it as an observation.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Thanks for reporting. I have also fix the problem with installer when no boot loader is chosen. To test it while on live environment type
sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i sli
to upgrade the sli
and then run sli.
Installation now works without to choose grub or elilo.
Thanks for reporting this.
salix_user

Post by salix_user »

Probably a similar problem..
I have installed 7.4 on USB
But its booting on my laptop hangs on

ImageImage
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I suppose you done a real usb installation. I also suppose you do not have an imac laptop. If so i cannot help.
How did you do the installation What partition table create and what partitions on usb.
Why did not choose default grub loader? I include (e)lilo in the installer but i suggest to use grub which is well tested and works. I never tested real installation on external usb stick using (e)lilo boot loader. For real installation on external usb stick or ssd grub is used (also after upgrading the kernel using the script written for this). Read this for installation.
salix_user

Post by salix_user »

djemos wrote: 6. Mar 2021, 15:11 I suppose you done a real usb installation. I also suppose you do not have an imac laptop. If so i cannot help.
How did you do the installation What partition table create and what partitions on usb.
Why did not choose default grub loader? I include (e)lilo in the installer but i suggest to use grub which is well tested and works. I never tested real installation on external usb stick using (e)lilo boot loader. For real installation on external usb stick or ssd grub is used (also after upgrading the kernel using the script written for this). Read this for installation.
sudo bash -x ./install_on_usb.sh --usb /home/user/slackellive64-openbox-7.4.iso /dev/sdb

?
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Just a thought, is the stick pugged in to an USB3 port? If so, try an USB2 port (if there is one), it often solves booting problems.