Updating Slackel led to disaster

miredia

Updating Slackel led to disaster

Post by miredia »

Hi djemos. I noticed a couple of days ago on Distrowatch that there was an update to Slackel. Thank you for this distro.

As I was unsuccessful the last time (a few months ago) being able to install, I made another attempt. It took a long time but it worked. Booted successfully from GRUB, and after OpenBox started, however, Network Manager wasn't enabled. Went into the terminal to do something about it and enabled Wifi. Then I ran Gslapt to upgrade the system which took at least four hours and many resets for my slow Internet connection.

I rebooted from that. Then soon after entering "init 4" it failed "startx" because of a missing shared library, I think called "libxcvt.so" or something alike. On the second attempt I interrupted, logged in as regular user and tried to run "startx" manually but that failed. I also tried to boot with the "huge" kernel instead of normal option, from GRUB menu.

I guess I could copy that library from the ISO or somewhere else but I'm hoping here to read a better solution. Thank you in advance.
DidierSpaier

Re: Updating Slackel led to disaster

Post by DidierSpaier »

We need to know the exact version of the missing shared library. Please post its full name.
miredia

Post by miredia »

LOL can't edit my own first post to say which library. It was looking for "libxcvt.so.0". This was actually "libxcvt.so.0.1.2" for Slackware "current" 64-bit.

Solution: I ended up downloading from "pkgs-dot-org" from another distro and manually copying into Slackel "/usr" the necessary files into the right places, and had to create a symbolic link for the library. Slackel then booted and started into desktop successfully. It required putting in "inxi" and "mate-utils" as well but here is the proof:

djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

miredia wrote:Solution: I ended up downloading from "pkgs-dot-org" from another distro and manually copying into Slackel "/usr" the necessary files into the right places, and had to create a symbolic link for the library.
Do not do this. Never use packages from other distro's.
Since your internet is working then you simply type sudo slapt-get -i libxcvt
Then go to init 4
or reboot

Or the not quick way.
Download the package from slackware64 current repo here
and install it with sudo spkg libxcvt-0.1.2-x86_64-1.txz
Use only the packages from official slackware current repositories.

All these problems have been solved on slackel forum. I suggest to visit the slackel forum and look in problems and there is the solution. Always, because i use slackel for everyday use as my main OS, i solve the problems immediately.

Also, after upgrade ffmpeg your smplayer do not work. Just install ffmpeg-aac package using

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -i ffmpeg-aac
to make it work again. Read here