slackware-live-0.5.2

SalixManiac

slackware-live-0.5.2

Post by SalixManiac »

hello djemos,

is it possible to exclude private files and directories (claws mail) from /home and only take the masks ( .bashrc .config .local...)?

i use this doc.
Quick start
The following commands build a live system from the running Slackware system:
build-slackware-live.sh --init / /tmp/live
#builds the live system initRD & copies the kernel
build-slackware-live.sh --module / /tmp/live 0-slackware-live
#creates a squashfs module of the system (and mounted
medias...)
build-slackware-live.sh --iso /tmp/live /tmp/slackware-live.iso
#generates an ISO of the live CD (if needed)
build-slackware-live.sh --usb /tmp/live /dev/sdx
#copies the live system to USB (if needed)
best regards,
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: slackware-live-0.5.2

Post by djemos »

What do you mean? After installation ? or running from live environment ?
In both cases can copy the .bashrc .local etc files.
If you mean exclude these from building the live iso. The answer is that you have to edit the user-settings-xfce package. And recreate the 04-common module. If you do not want claws mail have to remove the package from the module included it and recreate the module.
Or explain in details what do you want to do.
The above is from slackware-live original scripts which have been changed for slackel, salix. Look in the patches.patch file to see the big work have done. They do not used to create the modules etc. Just to create the initrd and live iso. Other scripts are used for creating the modules.
To use build-slackware-live.sh you have first prepare the modules. The build-slackware-live.sh just create the initrd and the live iso. The big work is the construction of modules which are done using other scripts. This is the tool for salix.
And this for slackel
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

hello djemos,

I'm using your https://github.com/djemos/slackware-live not slackware-salix-live-xfce.
It works very well, too well because it adds to the iso all the directories of my home (my texture directories for blender, my fonts directory, my color profiles for Gimp...17GB) it makes a big iso image, I would like to know if it is possible to exclude them from the iso build.

I know it's great to have this tool, maybe I'm asking too much, but if you have thought about this case and I don't ask the question I'm missing a good feature.

best regards,
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

No, there is not that option to exclude files or directories.
You only can exclude modules when boot the iso.
Also take a look at this
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

hello djemos,

Thank you for the explanation of the additional modules, this documentation gives me a lot of help.
http://live-system.tuxfamily.org/doc.html
I did a first try, the working directory has grown up to 30Go to generate an ISO of 2,2 Go, this little thing is greedy. :lol:

best regards,
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

@djemos

Hi Dimitris,

this thread reminds me that Slint still lacks a live version. This is more a inconvenience that a few years ago as more and more people would want to try a distribution as a live system before maybe installing it.

I do remember that you have worked on that for Slint as shows this repository. Now I am wondering from where to get started. Using your work, following the link you posted, using the work from Eric Hameleers, or what?

Your advice is appreciated and we can discuss that on IRC if you prefer.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

You can use the work of Eric Hameleers of course. Eric have done a very good work. Or you can go with my work. Whatever is better for you. Can try both to see what is more convenient for you.
I do not know if can do a real installation to a usb stick with slackware-live of Eric. Which i can do using my scripts. This is wonderful for salix and slackel. The truth is that i run salix and slackel 32 and 64 bit last months from 64 GB usb sticks i do not use a hard drive. And i have both updated to latest packages and kernel. I also developed slackel 7.6 using a live usb where i installed (real installation) slackel 7.5 updated to latest slackel and slackware current tree.
It is a matter of what do you want a demonstration live iso or an iso which can be used in a productive way and also be portable not as a live usb but a working system installed to internal or external ssd disk or in a usb stick.
And in my opinion the installation as a live usb using a persistent file is not worth. It is slow after installing a lot of packages. It is like a toy not a workable system.

I use slackel 7.6 installed on a 64 bit usb updated to latest packages and kernel to write this message using a laptop which has windows installed.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

djemos wrote: 28. May 2023, 07:59 I do not know if can do a real installation to a usb stick with slackware-live of Eric.
It can install on a hard disk from the live system as stated in this article, not sure about installing on an USB stick.
Which i can do using my scripts. This is wonderful for salix and slackel. The truth is that i run salix and slackel 32 and 64 bit last months from 64 GB usb sticks i do not use a hard drive.
Using the "auto partitioning" mode of the Slint installer you can do the same: just after having chosen this mode the installer lists the drives where it can install Slint and you select one of them. This can be a hard drive, a SSD, a NVMe, an USB stick, an SD card, whatever, as long as its size is at least 50G. So you just plug in the stick before pressing "a" for auto and it will be proposed. Further, it uses a btrfs file system which is fast on flash drives, with compression, so it takes roughly half the space on the device as would, say, ext4 or xfs. Some people run Slint on an USB stick as easier than re-partitiong a hard drive or SSD.
And i have both updated to latest packages and kernel.
In Slint just running slapt-get --upgrade whenever a new kernel is provided automatically updates grub after having built a new initramfs using dracut, Booting the kernel running at time of updating is still possible, as a safety net.
I also developed slackel 7.6 using a live usb where i installed (real installation) slackel 7.5 updated to latest slackel and slackware current tree.
According to Thomas Schmitt, author of xorriso, it should be possible to reserve a partition in an USB stick used as installer to then host the installed system (on the same stick). I hope that it's also possible in case of a live system on the stick and will explore that.
It is a matter of what do you want a demonstration live iso or an iso which can be used in a productive way and also be portable not as a live usb but a working system installed to internal or external ssd disk or in a usb stick.
As the current Slint installer is already able to do a portable installation, the goal is more to allow people to see how Slint looks like and what its provides without installing it.
And in my opinion the installation as a live usb using a persistent file is not worth. It is slow after installing a lot of packages. It is like a toy not a workable system.
I use slackel 7.6 installed on a 64 bit usb updated to latest packages and kernel to write this message using a laptop which has windows installed.
Cheers,
Didier
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

According to Thomas Schmitt, author of xorriso, it should be possible to reserve a partition in an USB stick used as installer to then host the installed system (on the same stick). I hope that it's also possible in case of a live system on the stick and will explore that.
I did not make it clear.
I boot with a live usb with slackel 7.5. Then using sli i plug in another usb where i did a real installation of slackel 7.5. Same as in hard disk.
I reboot with the usb where slackel 7.5 installed. And there i developed the slackel 7.6. So, itt is not a live usb. It is a real installed system same as installed in internal ssd disk.
Also i prefer the gui sli installer than a text based installer.
In my opinion to create a iso to use it to install the system to a disk or a usb is not the same as to create a iso to not only boot with it to test the system but also to be able to install it in a hard disk or a usb using a gui installer. This is more difficult.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

djemos wrote: 29. May 2023, 21:31 I boot with a live usb with slackel 7.5. Then using sli i plug in another usb where i did a real installation of slackel 7.5. Same as in hard disk.
I reboot with the usb where slackel 7.5 installed. And there i developed the slackel 7.6. So, itt is not a live usb. It is a real installed system same as installed in internal ssd disk.
Yes. What I would like to try is use the same USB stick to host both the live system (or at least the intsaller, as a first step) and the installed system.
Also I prefer the gui sli installer than a text based installer.
Yes, but for Slint we need that it be accessible with speech for our blind users. I will try the sli gui installer anyway. I am wondering if it can be made accessible with speech.
In my opinion to create a iso to use it to install the system to a disk or a usb is not the same as to create a iso to not only boot with it to test the system but also to be able to install it in a hard disk or a usb using a gui installer. This is more difficult.
Especially is the gui installer has to be accessible with speech, as in Slint case. I will ask on the Slint mailing list if they have used an accessible GUI installer that can be started from a live ISO.