Is GNOME a possibility?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
mexicore

Is GNOME a possibility?

Post by mexicore »

Hello Salix devs! Now that a KDE version of Salix has been released, I am wondering if there are any plans for a GNOME version. :)
damNageHack

Re: Is GNOME a possibility?

Post by damNageHack »

Which applications do you expect in a Gnome ISO?
Seriously, it seems to be very easy to install Gnome in Salix. You could use a basic installation.
:arrow: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... Salix_13.1
But since Salix is compatible with Slackware, you can use the excellent Gnome Slackbuild project to install Gnome 2.30.
[...]
A complete gnome environment can be installed by simply running:

slapt-get -i gsb-desktop

That will include all the essential parts of gnome, plus several key gnome applications like totem, rhythmbox, epiphany etc. Also check if you have these two packages installed, they are needed, but not referenced by any of the gnome packages dependencies:

slapt-get -i esound libical
And as a last word, i would like to point out that it would be obviously too much effort for the developers to maintain also a gnome edition which is not the intention of Salix :?:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

damNageHack wrote:And as a last word, i would like to point out that it would be obviously too much effort for the developers to maintain also a gnome edition which is not the intention of Salix :?:
Especially because GNOME is a dependency hell and building it is horrible (ok, I admit that last time I was building GNOME was years ago but IIRC Pat had the same problem with GNOME, so he removed it from Slackware).
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Gnome is not a dependency hell and building it is not horrible. :D It just needs a lot of work to do it. I don't think building KDE is any easier.

I personally like gnome. A lot. And I would love to have a gnome edition in salix, but there are only two ways in order for salix to have a gnome edition:
1. Stick with a really old version of gnome, or
2. Become incompatible with slackware
none of which is desirable. So, the answer is no, it's not really a possibility.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

damNageHack wrote:And as a last word, i would like to point out that it would be obviously too much effort for the developers to maintain also a gnome edition which is not the intention of Salix :?:
Hmm... In the future, please do refrain from speaking on behalf of Salix developers whose intentions you are not privy to.
And furthermore... never say never, even if not in the works ATM or in the immediate foreseeable future.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

@Akuna
Sorry if my last sentences sound too hard for the developers.
But this was my impression so far from answers got to those kind of questions like "Will it be possible to get this or that for Salix?". :twisted:
Please do not take it personally, make peace not war. ;)

EDIT
Considered about gnome office. But that should not be the challenge here. There are packages available for all of those applications.
There are a bunch of GNOME/Gtk applications that are useful in an office enviroment.

Standard Office Applications

* AbiWord - Word processor (supports also OpenDocument Format).
* Evince - Document viewer (official part of GNOME).
* Evolution - Groupware and Email application (official part of GNOME).
* Gnumeric - Spreadsheet application.
* Inkscape - Vector Graphics and Presentation Creations

Other GNOME/Gtk Office Applications

* GnuCash - financial application
* gLabels - label designer
* Glom - database designer similar to Filemaker
* Dia - diagram creation
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Gnome is not a dependency hell and building it is not horrible. :D It just needs a lot of work to do it. I don't think building KDE is any easier.
Well, building KDE is something like that: qt, kdelibs, kdebase, kde*
Building Gnome is like: gtk, glib, ??? libgnome? no... GConf? no... ORBit2? yes :) Next: bonobo, gnome-vfs,cairo??? :mrgreen: OK, just follow a predefined build order and everything is fine ;)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

thenktor wrote:OK, just follow a predefined build order and everything is fine ;)
You forgot libsexy and libsexy2. :mrgreen:
http://www.chipx86.com/w/index.php/Libsexy
http://www.ohloh.net/p/libsexy
mexicore

Post by mexicore »

Thank you all for your answers! You're right Gapan, having to use an old version of Gnome or Salix becoming incompatible with Slackware is something that is not desirable. I can't speak for everyone else, but I do like the fact that Salix is fully backwards compatible with Slackware. However, like Gapan, I really do like Gnome. But like an Aston Martin or a Rolls Royce, it's a luxury (what with Compiz and other niceties) and not a necessity and simply would have been nice to see :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

And of course you can follow the wiki instructions if you really want to have GNOME (with some Slackware incompatible libs). ;)