Salix Fluxbox 13.1.2 has been released!

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Fluxbox 13.1.2 has been released!

Post by gapan »

After a lengthy development period, the Salix team is proud to announce the first official release of Salix Fluxbox Edition! Salix Fluxbox 13.1.2 is available in both 32bit and 64bit architectures and of course features the minimal Fluxbox window manager, customized with the Salix look and feel. The Fluxbox edition provides the cleanest work environment compared to any other previous Salix editions and has been designed so that it stays out of the way, while providing a fast, versatile and powerful environment.

As with all other Salix editions, the installation images of the Fluxbox edition allow the installation to be performed in three different modes, core, basic and full.

The core mode installation is identical to those offered by any other Salix edition and will install a console-only system, which can be used to build a custom system fit for any purpose, including desktop or server usage.

The basic mode installation will install a minimal graphical system, including the Fluxbox window manager, the Firefox web browser, the lightweight PCMan file manager, the Salix graphical system tools and the Gslapt package manager. No other applications are installed and the user can start with a basic system, install the application selection of his preference and have a fully personalized and clean Fluxbox system.

The full mode installation will install all software included in the installation medium, always following the "one application per task" rationale. That includes all applications present in a basic mode installation, but also the full OpenOffice.org office suite, a full selection of media applications, including the powerful Exaile music manager and the Brasero disc burning application. Installation of patent encumbered multimedia codecs is a matter of few clicks, using the "Install multimedia codecs" tool from the Multimedia section of the Fluxbox menu. Gimp is available for all image editing needs and viewnior is the default image viewer, while evince is included for viewing pdf and postscript files. The Claws Mail email client is available, along with the Transmission torrent client and pidgin can be used for connecting to almost any instant messaging network. Wicd can be used to configure and connect to both wireless and wired network connections. A full development environment is available in all three installation modes.

The installation images, listed also in the Downloads page, can be downloaded from Sourceforge or using the respective torrent file.

Salix Fluxbox 13.1.2 (32-bit):
(size: 566 MB, md5: 19af22eef8e34dd1d0396a9b479b7c59)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/iso/ ... so.torrent

Salix64 Fluxbox 13.1.2 (64-bit):
(size: 546 MB, md5: 96f52aeb27f58c6f01a629d3483fb158)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.1/is ... so.torrent

As with all Salix releases, the full sources for software included in these releases are available in the form of a source DVD iso. This can also be downloaded from Sourceforge, the link is available in the main Salix Download page along with all other Salix releases: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Have fun!
pevsner

Re: Salix Fluxbox 13.1.2 has been released!

Post by pevsner »

Congrats Salix Team.
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Good job! Thanks for the hard work. Regards.
4-stroke

Post by 4-stroke »

This is great! Thanks! 8-)
ikke

Post by ikke »

Congratulations and thank you!

Was waiting for the LIveCD edition. But decided to install and test the Fluxbox edition. Seems nice at first sight!
gapan wrote:The Fluxbox edition provides the cleanest work environment compared to any other previous Salix editions
Could you please comment on this. Trust you won't neglect the xfce edition.

Regards.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:Trust you won't neglect the xfce edition.
No, of course not.
salix2501

Post by salix2501 »

I must say that my experience has been very positive. I really like this Fluxbox edition more than the XFCE edition. It is a lot simple and for my surprise it is only using about 85Mb of RAM rafter booting up and 140-162 Mb with Firefox open. It has everything I need to manage my old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. I am keeping this one!

Great job!

-t
VAA

Post by VAA »

I am glad that Silex develops so successfully.
Can we hope Trinity version will be made?
http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

P.S. Now I use LXDE version, after mаny years of Slackware with KDE3. Sorry, but KDE4 is not KDE :(

P.P.S. Sorry, this is not right topic.
Last edited by VAA on 9. Dec 2010, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Special mention to Kerd & Ax who made this possible. Well done! ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ax

Post by ax »

thanks to all of you for having accepted this project ... was a very important thing for us ;)