Easy install guide for nvidia

ikke

Re: Easy install guide for nvidia

Post by ikke »

pwatk wrote:There isn't anything simpler, creating packages of this is far more work than it's worth undertaking.
Just to say : thank you very much!

Merry Christmas.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

No problem :)
mandog

Post by mandog »

# slapt-get -i kernel-source
2. Go to nvidia.com and select your OS, architecture and graphics card from the drop-down menus.
3. Save the installer to home directory
4. Open a terminal, login as root (su )
5. cd /home/your name
sh NVI press tab it should then auto complete like this
NVIDIA-Linux-<arch>-<version>.run then ad this --no-x-check so then you have,
6.sh NVIDIA-Linux-<arch>-<version>.run--no-x-check
let nvidia build and set up xorg
when finnished reboot
The Old Dog Lives On
Shador

Post by Shador »

mandog wrote:# slapt-get -i kernel-source
2. Go to nvidia.com and select your OS, architecture and graphics card from the drop-down menus.
3. Save the installer to home directory
4. Open a terminal, login as root (su )
5. cd /home/your name
sh NVI press tab it should then auto complete like this
NVIDIA-Linux-<arch>-<version>.run then ad this --no-x-check so then you have,
6.sh NVIDIA-Linux-<arch>-<version>.run--no-x-check
let nvidia build and set up xorg
when finnished reboot
Reboot sucks. ;) Destroys one's nice uptime and takes longer than a:

Code: Select all

(init 3; init 4) &
Apart that's much geekier. 8-)
mandog

Post by mandog »

Reboot sucks. ;) Destroys one's nice uptime and takes longer than a:

Code: Select all

(init 3; init 4) &
Apart that's much geekier. 8-)[/quote]
Nothing geeky in giving a alternative way of doing things
I think comments like this are for ubuntu forums not on serious Linux forums
stopping and starting the Xserver takes as long as rebooting also nvidia drivers need to start before the xserver to setup correctly
The Old Dog Lives On
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Thanks for the '--no-x-check' tip.

I disagree with your comment regarding rebooting, it's not required and provided you have X setup correctly then the Nvidia driver will load with the Xserver.

That said, it doesn't matter which approach you use you'll still reach the same goal.
mandog

Post by mandog »

Its not my tip it is mentioned earlier in the thread all I did was string it all together.
as ive used this method for a long time and some distros you need to go around the bushes to stop the xserver. as I use Gnome/kde I can open a terminal directly in any directory so it is simpler than I described, as far as the geek comment! i'm a ordinary user and have to copy paste to use the command line I really do not qualify to be called a geek visit http://www.parsix.org/html/index.php. http://www.archlinux.org/ and you can find me there. Look for my aviator/or user name.
The Old Dog Lives On
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

If you don't want to reboot, you must (after install) :
  1. disconnect from your session.
  2. if you already have a previous version of nvidia installed, you must also do :
    1. switch to runlevel 3 : init 3
    2. remove nvidia driver from the loaded drivers : modprobe -r nvidia
    3. switch back to runlevel 4 : init 4 (which will reload the new nvidia kernel driver and the new X11 nvidia driver)
  3. login again.
The '--no-x-check' argument is a good thing to do if you want to install your next driver but still continues to work.
Shador

Post by Shador »

mandog wrote:
Shador wrote:Reboot sucks. ;) Destroys one's nice uptime and takes longer than a:
(init 3; init 4) &
stopping and starting the Xserver takes as long as rebooting also nvidia drivers need to start before the xserver to setup correctly
I'm absolutely sure that I'm back to work much faster with a X restart than with a reboot. It's something like 30s (if at all) opposed to min. 1min (more like 2min) for a complete reboot.
Apart from that what's the problem about pointing out an alternative, faster way to your instructions? On top of that I wasn't really trying to hide that I'm joking, were I. Nevertheless this solution really may seem geeky to many alien, alienated and earthly creatures inhabiting this planet. ;)
That's why I don't criticize your approach as rebooting is most of the time the much more failsafe way.
mandog

Post by mandog »

Shador wrote:
mandog wrote:
Shador wrote:Reboot sucks. ;) Destroys one's nice uptime and takes longer than a:
(init 3; init 4) &
I'm absolutely sure that I'm back to work much faster with a X restart than with a reboot. It's something like 30s (if at all) opposed to min. 1min (more like 2min) for a complete reboot.
Apart from that what's the problem about pointing out an alternative, faster way to your instructions? On top of that I wasn't really trying to hide that I'm joking, were I. Nevertheless this solution really may seem geeky to many alien, alienated and earthly creatures inhabiting this planet. ;)
That's why I don't criticize your approach as rebooting is most of the time the much more failsafe way.
[/i]

I reboot to ensure the old drivers are completely removed from the system and only for that reason as I had some problems a while back with graphics after upgrading Nvidia drivers and after wasting a 1hr or so I rebooted, and it went away 1hr v 45 secs no contest.
The Old Dog Lives On