Live Clone then Persitence; how long does that take?

M_Mynaardt

Live Clone then Persitence; how long does that take?

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Hi, all!

Am I right in assuming that the Live CD takes a very long time indeed to make a Live Clone on a USB drive? I started the process (on my old laptop; a Toshiba A100 Satellite); the message said "please wait, this can take a long time". So, I watched telly, did a few odds and ends and after about 45 minutes still no visible progress. :(

How long can the Live Clone process take? After flipping through a few other posts; it seems to me that it could take several hours. Is this right? I'd just like to know so I don't give up on it just because I'm impatient.

Could someone also tell me how long the Persistence tool takes to run? I am told (by gapan) that once I have a Live Clone USB, I then need to boot from it and then run the persistence tool to make a bootable persistent install of Salix.

Sorry to be a bother; I just want to know how much time I'd need to set aside to make a proper persistent install of Salix OS, that's all.

Thanks for anything anyone can tell me!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Live Clone then Persitence; how long does that take?

Post by Akuna »

The specs of your laptop seem powerful enough. But yes, it can take as much as a couple hours depending on certain set-up or the size of your project.

If you want to see some progress, you could either:

1- If you create a USB key:
Go to /media/name_you_gave_the_your_live_USB_key & see if files are being copied there. More specifically, check if salixlive/base/01-liveclone.lzm 'grow' in size.

2- If you create an CD-ROM iso file:
Similarly, go to to /path/to/the/work_directory_you defined & see if files are being copied there. More specifically, check if salixlive/base/01-liveclone.lzm 'grow' in size.

In the case of creating a Live USB Key, the persistence option is included in LiveClone, didn't you see it? If you checked the persistence box & define the size of the persistent file, you are good to go. No need to redo it afterward.

One thing though, you must insure you have enough place to fit both your cloned live system as well as your persistence file in your USB key.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Akuna wrote:The specs of your laptop seem powerful enough. But yes, it can take as much as a couple hours depending on certain set-up or the size of your project.

If you want to see some progress, you could either:

1- If you create a USB key:
Go to /media/name_you_gave_the_your_live_USB_key & see if files are being copied there. More specifically, check if salixlive/base/01-liveclone.lzm 'grow' in size.

2- If you create an CD-ROM iso file:
Similarly, go to to /path/to/the/work_directory_you defined & see if files are being copied there. More specifically, check if salixlive/base/01-liveclone.lzm 'grow' in size.

In the case of creating a Live USB Key, the persistence option is included in LiveClone, didn't you see it? If you checked the persistence box & define the size of the persistent file, you are good to go. No need to redo it afterward.

One thing though, you must insure you have enough place to fit both your cloned live system as well as your persistence file in your USB key.
I did see the persistence box in LiveClone yes... :)

On the other hand; no idea what to plug in! :(

In my case; it would be a 16GB USB flash drive; how much space should be dedicated to the persistent bit to take up the whole flash drive, do you think?

Oh, one other thing; can you put such a persistent install on a partition of a USB-HDD? I have a 320 GB, of which I've partitioned 80GB to be a persistent install. Can you just choose that partition from LiveClone? So, if I have /dev/sdg as the 320GB, will LiveClone, for instance, let me select /dev/sdg1? (or whatever designation one of the partitions would be)?

Thanks...
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

16 GB seems plenty, but you' ll have to do the maths yourself depending on the size of your cloned project. A regular Salix Live system can be compressed down to the size of a CD-ROM which is about 700 MB, in that case you could theoretically have up to 15 GB persistent file & still have a bit of place.

It all depend on the modifications you bring to your live environment before you execute LiveClone, if for instance you install 500 MB of divers applications prior to launching LiveClone, that is that much less place you will have for the persistence.

Otherwise yes, the persistence file can be anywhere on your system. The Live media will detect its location automatically during boot.
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Akuna wrote:16 GB seems plenty, but you' ll have to do the maths yourself depending on the size of your cloned project. A regular Salix Live system can be compressed down to the size of a CD-ROM which is about 700 MB, in that case you could theoretically have up to 15 GB persistent file & still have a bit of place.

It all depend on the modifications you bring to your live environment before you execute LiveClone, if for instance you install 500 MB of divers applications prior to launching LiveClone, that is that much less place you will have for the persistence.

Otherwise yes, the persistence file can be anywhere on your system. The Live media will detect its location automatically during boot.
I was also wondering what number to put down for the size of the persistence asked for. Would that be the capacity of the USB device less the size of the Live CD (500 MB or whatever it is)?

Thanks...
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Akuna wrote:you' ll have to do the maths yourself depending on the size of your cloned project. A regular Salix Live system can be compressed down to the size of a CD-ROM which is about 700 MB, in that case you could theoretically have up to 15 GB persistent file & still have a bit of place.
In doubt, just keep a big margin of extra empty space just to be sure. You have plenty anyways.
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Akuna wrote:
Akuna wrote:you' ll have to do the maths yourself depending on the size of your cloned project. A regular Salix Live system can be compressed down to the size of a CD-ROM which is about 700 MB, in that case you could theoretically have up to 15 GB persistent file & still have a bit of place.
In doubt, just keep a big margin of extra empty space just to be sure. You have plenty anyways.
Okay, thanks for that; I'll give it a go when I have a chunk of extra time!

Sorry for the slow response, but I've been working nights; that's my excuse! :roll:
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~