GNOME 3

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
lmello

GNOME 3

Post by lmello »

Has anybody taken a look at an GNOME 3 alpha release live-cd from http://www.gnome3.org/? If so, what are yours impressions?
salixman

Re: GNOME 3

Post by salixman »

I tested a (most likely now outdated) opensuse livecd with GNOME 3, and from the 5-ish minutes I spent with it I got the impression that it was pretty slick but REALLY aimed at tablets and other touchscreen devices. In fact, that's one of the reasons I switched over to Xfce. It kinda made me feel like GNOME was going to be ignoring the desktop user with their 3 release and I wanted to jump ship early. Of course, the livecd I tested was very incomplete and didn't contain a lot of the cusomization features and other things so I probably can't make a perfect judgement call quite yet.
ray

Post by ray »

Having used the latest live cd for a few days now, i can tell you it's a huge improvement from Gnome 2.
Sure they radically changed the way things are done, and yes it does take getting used to the new layout, but once you do, you will find that it's much easier to work with.

The new notifications system is amazing, the fact that i can change songs or reply to chat messages without switching from what i'm working on is a big plus.
Once you get used to it and then try a system with Gnome 2/Xfce 4, you'll see how much you miss it.

Also, the new "gnome-do" style search in the activities overview isnt as nearly powerful [yet], but works fine, it searches your recent docs as well, which is nice.
I kinda hated the fact that i couldnt minimise easily anymore, but got over it soon enough.
It does take getting used to using workspaces more now and an "automatically open this app in this workspace" option would be good.

The new nautilus isnt a huge improvement and it feels more like thunar to me now.
It still needs a lot of work and i think Gnome 3.0 will only be an "initial" version to this new Gnome.
Once they get through a couple of releases, it'll be perfect.

Overall, give it a chance people, test it with an open mind and i'm sure you'll like it.

Cheers,
ray
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

I tried Gnome 3 with an early Fedora 15 beta release and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't give it a thorough run through as I only downloaded the beta to get a quick look at the new Gnome.

Overall, I was most impressed with the look, very clean and dare I use the word almost elegant. The initial download actually came with minimize and maximize buttons, so I wasn't sure what all the ruckus was about. Later I did an upgrade and the buttons disappeared. However, double clicking on the window border will minimize/maximize the border so I remain clueless, as to the amount of press given to the subject.

Dedoimedo, stated on his blog site that Gnome 3 is a productivity killer, but then, he normally doesn't take change well and I noticed he subsequently wrote another article about how to increase productivity with Gnome 3, and although I did not get into his article very far, I got the impression his take on Gnome was already starting to change.

Again, my quick impression, graphics very sharp and clean. Navigation, paradigm changes etc., there is some of that, so if you don't like changing old habits, like right clicking, minimize buttons etc., it may not be your cup of tea. My guess is most people will adjust easily enough and rapid improvements will be made in subsequent releases. Probably not unlike KDE 4 but with far less drama, hopefully.
ruario

Post by ruario »

If you are running -current (13.37) you could try out gsb-3.0_slackware-current.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I want to test Gnome 3. Which Live-CD should I try? The SuSE or Fedora one? I want to have pure Gnome without distribution specific customization.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ray

Post by ray »

^Try the suse one, last time i tried it it was bare bones gnome 3, without any suse stuff.