Salix Xfce 13.37

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.37

Post by gapan »

Salix Xfce 13.37 is finally here, shortly after Slackware 13.37 was released, on which Salix 13.37 is based. Salix Xfce 13.37 includes numerous changes and improvements, both Salix specific and also inherited from Slackware. With Salix being fully backwards compatible with Slackware, the Salix repositories for 13.37, for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, are already the largest 3rd party binary package repositories available for Slackware users.

This release comes with linux kernel 2.6.37.6, the Xfce 4.6.2 desktop environment, Firefox 4.0.1 and Claws-mail 3.7.8. Libreoffice 3.3.2 is included by default in full mode installations, replacing OpenOffice.org and localization packages for it for more than a hundred languages are available through the package management tools.

Exaile 0.3.2 is the default music player and parole 0.2.0.6 is used as the default movie player. Pitivi 0.13.5 is included for video editing tasks and Brasero 2.32.1 can be used to burn optical media. Extra multimedia codecs can be installed with a few clicks by using the "Install multimedia codecs" tool from the Xfce menu. Gimp 2.6.11 is included for all image editing needs and evince can be used to view pdf and postscript documents.

Package management is done using the gslapt package manager or the command line equivalent slapt-get. Sourcery, a new graphical tool for managing and installing packages from SlackBuilds has been developed from scratch for Salix. This is a graphical frontend to slapt-src and complements gslapt, the default graphical package manager. More than 2600 SlackBuilds are available for building and installing packages easily with Sourcery. The original Slackware pkgtools are used for 13.37. Spkg is now a separate package and slapt-get/gslapt have been patched to work directly with spkg. This way we get to keep all benefits of using spkg, while maintaining 100% compatibility with Slackware and 3rd party software like sbopkg.

IBus has replaced SCIM as the default input platform for Chinese, Japanese etc. IBus is more modern than SCIM and should work better with all applications, including Mozilla Firefox. The keyboard configuration system tool has been updated to support IBus as well. Xorg has received a major overhaul and it doesn't use hal for configuration anymore. Individual configuration files can be placed in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory now. The Salix system tools have been updated to support the new configuration scheme. The nouveau driver for nvidia cards is now also included in the default installation, which should provide a better out of the box experience for nvidia users.

A lot of other software is included, like the transmission torrent client and the zim desktop wiki. Another small addition is gtkman, a GTK+2 man page viewer that has also been developed in house. Hundreds of other packages have been updated in the meantime in Salix and Slackware repositories, including glibc 2.13, gcc 4.5.2, perl 5.12.3 and more.

ISO images can be downloaded through http from our Sourceforge project page and also by using a torrent client using the following links:

Salix Xfce 13.37 (32-bit):
(size: 593 MB, md5: 8a2b0c31803913e50e45b5c829564e9b)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
Torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.37/iso ... 37.torrent

Salix64 Xfce 13.37 (64-bit):
(size: 580 MB, md5: 872a3f85595c8ceca017f798dc89aaf6)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
Torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.37/i ... 37.torrent

A source DVD iso is available through our Xfce edition download page, including all sources used for software in both 32-bit and 64-bit iso images. There is also a full source tree in the Salix 13.37 repositories, for all software packaged by Salix.

Have fun!

The SalixOS team.

Edit :
French translation (annonce en français): http://fredgnix.wordpress.com/2011/05/1 ... -de-sorti/
f.bluedevil

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37

Post by f.bluedevil »

Congratulations! :D

I have been very much looking forward to this release. I' m downloading as I type - and thanks to everybody for their hard work!
franzy

Post by franzy »

thnx a lot!.. just installed, work fine!.. clap clap
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Congratulations on the new release!

Were there any changes since RC2? If so, would simply doing a

Code: Select all

slapt-get --update
slapt-get --upgrade
bring me to the release code?

Again, great news!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thank you. :)

Caitlyn, there was only a minor patch in the installer, so if you installed RC2, you're already there.
bigbenaugus

Post by bigbenaugus »

Think I will be giving this a try at home.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

bigbenaugus wrote:Think I will be giving this a try at home.
A good idea ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ax

Post by ax »

Good work!

now we must get in step with the release Fluxbox ;)
phayz

Post by phayz »

Congratulations and thanks to everyone in the team.

Successfully installed on an MSI Wind U200.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Great work guys!