2 questions

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jpg153
Donor

2 questions

Post by jpg153 »

Hi all,

I am wondering whether there is a tool in Salix to configure the hosts file and other network properties, like (my)hostname and domain name/ workgroup?
I had a backup of my previous files for that, but for a newbie a tool would be more than handy.

In former Zenwalk there were 2 menue/task bars, 1 giving access to applications and "places".
I am missing this "places" function here...did it just slip my attention or is it removed?
If removed, is there a way to get it back?

Thanks.
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: 2 questions

Post by gapan »

jpg153 wrote:I am wondering whether there is a tool in Salix to configure the hosts file and other network properties, like (my)hostname and domain name/ workgroup?
I had a backup of my previous files for that, but for a newbie a tool would be more than handy.

Code: Select all

man hosts
man hostname
You don't need a tool for something that simple. ;)
jpg153 wrote:In former Zenwalk there were 2 menue/task bars, 1 giving access to applications and "places".
I am missing this "places" function here...did it just slip my attention or is it removed?
If removed, is there a way to get it back?
Do you have xfce4-places-plugin installed?
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Gapan,

re host and so on - yes, in principle ok, but what if I were a newbie...
A desktop system should allow me to do all this on the desktop and as it is a bit crucial right after the installation it should done soon. But as a newbie I would not read man pages, honestly! ;)
Its probably not urgent, but maybe quite simple :)

Yes, that plugin is installed! But I cannot find it...upps just found it! Sorry and Thanks!
But...same icon as for thunar/file manager...can I change that?
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jpg153 wrote:re host and so on - yes, in principle ok, but what if I were a newbie...
A desktop system should allow me to do all this on the desktop and as it is a bit crucial right after the installation it should done soon. But as a newbie I would not read man pages, honestly! ;)
If you were a newbie that wants to learn about his system, then you should start reading man pages. If you were a newbie that doesn't want to learn anything about his system, then you wouldn't care about setting the hostname and domain anyway. ;)
jpg153 wrote:But...same icon as for thunar/file manager...can I change that?
I don't think so...