clamav & salix note to myself & other newbies

luddite

clamav & salix note to myself & other newbies

Post by luddite »

Re: clamav & salix note to myself & other newbies

installing clamav

i had a go at installing clamav using sourcery and got a problem, it failed stating "libmilter missing” looked using google and got this page but with English translation - putting here in English to save time for other newbies.

Run command below & this will fix libmilter problem
# slapt-get -i sendmail

then go back to sourcery & have another go at installing if it come up with any thing about groups,it will give a suggestion what to do. I just copied the suggestion into terminal.

It should install ok it did for me.

running and updating - On other distros you have to mess about uncommenting a line “#example” in two config files -don't worry about it, seems you don't need with salix and sourcery install.

To get update of clamav virus definitions run this command #freshclam

to scan a pendrive that comes up with a label name of say “TITANIUM” next to the pendrive icon on the desktop, you can use this command to scan it.

# clamscan /media/TITANIUM -r

to get rid of anything just use
# clamscan --remove /media/TITANIUM -r
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks luddite - I tried to install clamav a while back and gave up, now it's installed.

My impression is that one of its most frequent uses is to filter email, and so it's unsurprisong that it depends on a library that comes with sendmail. Myself, I'll use it to scan my family's USB sticks.
luddite

Post by luddite »

ok

mimosa

you can obviously also use it like this:

#clamscan /home/your-username -r
and to get rid of nasties
#clamscan --remove /home/your-username -r
apparently you have to be more careful incase clam finds a file it thinks is a problem but is not

now then on installing clamav i have version 0.95.2 but in the terminal a message comes up engine or words to affect out of date; and the clamav web site states new version 0.97.1

so thought would go to /usr/source and try
editing version to 0.97.1

slkbuild -X
spkg -u newpackage.txz

now I had a little problem there was no sign of clamav in /usr/src

is that something to do with the way i installed ? normally i just put a tgz file on the desktop, su in terminal
and then #installpkg package.Is this wrong - i normally find package works fine !

Any other ideas how to update engine ( not the definitions) ?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I dont have libmilter installed and clamav works fine.

look if there is /usr/share/clamav and if all files under this directory ( daily.cvd, main.cvd) owned by group and user clamav.
If not then as root do:
chown -R clamav:clamav /usr/share/clamav
fresclam

Here is package with SLKBUILD for clamav 0.97.1 (salix-13.1) http://people.salixos.org/djemos/clamav/0.97.1/
If you have salix-13.37 version run fakeroot slkbuild -X to build clamav
luddite

Post by luddite »

thanks for that djemos,

i'm on a windows machine posting this,so will look when I get back & let you know

incidently last night I downloaded from clamav.net the source for 0.97.1 found a lackbuild at slackbuild.org and changed
the version from 0.95.2 to 0.97.1 and ran ./clamav.Slackbuild it ran for about 15 minutes almost worked but failed quoting
somethink like the hulk or hunk i think it was.

I have just gone to your link and now I have just downloaded clamav-0.97-i486-1dj.txz and am assuming thats the source package and also clam-0.97.tar.gz which iam assuming is the gunzip slackbuild, but won't be able to look and unpack till get back to my salix machine. So if this is the case I could unpack the build file, put the source file as it is in txz form into the unpacked clamav direectory & then # ./clamav.SlackBuild ?

I would just use Gslapt to get rid of the previous clamav0.95.2 or suppose could do #rmpkg clam if I can get the suffix after calm right.

One other quicky if i download a package like package.txz , is there anything wrong with having it on the desktop & just running
# installpkg package.txz there is something at the back of my mind about a post saying I wouldn't get the source in /usr/src/package doing it thast way ?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

clamav-0.97.1-i486-1dj.txz is the binary package, clamav-0.97.1.tar.gz is the source package.
You do not have to unpack clamav-0.97.1.tar.gz. Do not use any clamav.SlackBuild from slackbuilds.org

Just read the next.

Well, to make things simpler and clear. If you have salix-13.1 just download http://people.salixos.org/djemos/clamav ... 86-1dj.txz and as root type in a xterm. upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new clamav-0.97.1-i486-1dj.txz

If you have salix-13.37 then download everything from http://people.salixos.org/djemos/clamav/0.97.1/
cd to download directory and run fakeroot slkbuild -X
After that a new clamav-0.97.1-i486-1dj.txz will be created.
Then run as root upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new clamav-0.97.1-i486-1dj.txz

To upgrade viruses just type as root freshclam in a xterm
After this you are ready to use clamav and check for viruses.
luddite

Post by luddite »

thank you very much djemos

that all worked fine , $ fakeroot slkbuild -X worked and created new package, after which installed new package as per your command line code.

freshclam downloaded update, and clamscan is working .also noticed that I now have a clamav-0.97.1 folder in the /usr/src
directory

so great!
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Very interresting. Could this be put on the wiki? :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

JRD wrote:Very interresting. Could this be put on the wiki? :)
Done. :)
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... all_clamav