Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

Post by gapan »

snowpine wrote:Any update on this?
There will be. In time. Some changes are scheduled for the next release. Gslapt and sourcery will both be included, as they are both usable with only a keyboard now. Gmountman will also be included too. And probably apvlv will replace zathura. I'm not too happy with including pidgin, it's usable, but not perfect. Command line alternatives don't offer support for as many protocols, but we might end up going with irssi+mcabber.
snowpine wrote:Anything I can do to help? :)
Did you try the beta? Any issues? Any ideas?
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

gapan wrote:Did you try the beta? Any issues? Any ideas?
Just a couple of minor things, there was the "ssh -X" problem I mentioned above. Another thing I've noticed is that C-t c console does not completely fill the screen, there is a border of about 5 pixels on the right-hand side of the screen where the wallpaper is visible (need a screenshot?)

Also I found the default browser lacking so I installed Firefox + vimperator.

Very nice work and I'm quite enjoying my crash-course in Ratpoison. Based on the experience I've started installing Ratpoison on my other non-Salix computers. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

snowpine wrote:Just a couple of minor things, there was the "ssh -X" problem I mentioned above.
That's not a problem.
snowpine wrote:Another thing I've noticed is that C-t c console does not completely fill the screen, there is a border of about 5 pixels on the right-hand side of the screen where the wallpaper is visible (need a screenshot?)
That's also not a problem. The xterm window can only be resized according to how many characters can be displayed. They can't be made to have any size in pixels like all other windows. For example if the font is 10 pixels high, in a screen with 768 pixels height, you will get an xterm that is 76 rows high + 8 pixels that can't be used.
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

gapan wrote:
snowpine wrote:Just a couple of minor things, there was the "ssh -X" problem I mentioned above.
That's not a problem.
It was a problem for me. :(
gapan wrote:
snowpine wrote:Another thing I've noticed is that C-t c console does not completely fill the screen, there is a border of about 5 pixels on the right-hand side of the screen where the wallpaper is visible (need a screenshot?)
That's also not a problem. The xterm window can only be resized according to how many characters can be displayed. They can't be made to have any size in pixels like all other windows. For example if the font is 10 pixels high, in a screen with 768 pixels height, you will get an xterm that is 76 rows high + 8 pixels that can't be used.
That is a good explanation, thanks. Maybe go with a different terminal (like terminator?) that can fill the screen...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Just to say that I continue to use Salix Ratpoison for everything and I have had no problems at all.

Since t was no longer assigned in my configuration, I now have Menu, t opening screen -DR ... (t=terminal ;) )

Also, Menu, Ctrl h = reboot
Menu, Ctrl shift h = shutdown

... but I know it is planned to handle this differently in the final release.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Making preparations for an RC1 iso now. Should be up in the next few days. We're going to need a "Ratpoison tips" wiki page before the final release.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

What sort of page do you have in mind? Something similar to the Guide pages? Or something pitched at more experienced users, but which could include a link to the Guide?

If I understood correctly, the plan in any case is not to include the Guide on the live CD itself any more, just a link to it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the release candidate! :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:What sort of page do you have in mind? Something similar to the Guide pages? Or something pitched at more experienced users, but which could include a link to the Guide?

If I understood correctly, the plan in any case is not to include the Guide on the live CD itself any more, just a link to it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the release candidate! :)
There you go: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 698#p16957

As for the wiki page, yes, something similar to the guide. Should include the tips in the first post in this topic. A wiki page should be easier to find than a chapter in the guide I think and I feel that with ratpoison many people will need some guidance at first.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'd be glad to adapt the section on Ratpoison in the Guide accordingly.