When?

ikke

When?

Post by ikke »

It seems like Salix people are no longer interested in producing LiveCDs.

Still no beta version of Salix LXDE, KDE nor FluxBox. Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta is beta for nearly 2 months now.

Kindly confirm that I am wrong.

Regards,
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: When?

Post by gapan »

They will be ready when they're ready. If you want it done faster you can always try doing it yourself.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

I know it sounds very long and indeed it has been very long.

The reason is that we have finally done away with the use of Linux Live Script which have stopped being developed for a few years now and are way past patching (something we were doing all along).

As you may Know JRD has developed from scratch a new set of script called SaLT (Salix Live Template) to enable us to produce LiveCDs with very little modification from the main distro. Of course all our live utilities also have had to be rewritten accordingly (the Live Installer, LiveClone and the Persistence Wizard).

In French we have a saying: "Reculer pour mieux sauter!" which loosely translated means to take a few steps back in order to be able to jump way further.

Thanks to this painstaking work happening behind the scene, we will now easily generate 64bit as well as 32bit liveCDs and a bit further down the line, LiveClone will be able to be executed from a regular Salix system in a clean fashion and not only from a LiveCD as it is limited to ATM.

Xfce Live CD RC is almost around the corner, we are putting the last touch to it and want to ensure it is as bugfree as possible. Once it is published, all other editions will follow very shortly.

Please have a little more patience, you should not regret it. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Akuna,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. And your understanding. I like your way of handling rude questions...

Yes, I am aware JRD is working on the new Salt Live scripts. I appreciate very much his outstanding work. I know you are working on LiveClone and doing a very nice job.

Yes. I agree with the French saying. But maybe I was just waiting for info on the progress of the project.

Am very happy with the news that Xfce Live CD RC is almost around the corner. (For the time being I am using every day the beta version frugally installed on an ext3 formatted usb-stick, without experiencing major problems)

Best Regards,
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

ikke wrote: But maybe I was just waiting for info on the progress of the project.
You can always check here => http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... te#dirlist ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.