changing default search engine in Firefox

Other talk about Salix
mimosa
Salix Warrior

changing default search engine in Firefox

Post by mimosa »

I've changed if for the search bar (simple: download an addon), for the address bar (edit keyword.URL in about:config) but the actual underlying default remains Google.

I should explain I've got the Pentadactyl addon installed, and ideally I would then turn all those bars off, anyway. You do : o (think vim commands) to open a URL, but if what is typed cannot be resolved into one, it is sent to the default search engine ... in this case, still Google! :cry:

I have also tried changing some other settings in about:config:

browser.search.defaultenginename

browser.search.order.1

No luck! Does anyone have any ideas?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: changing default search engine in Firefox

Post by gapan »

While I remember something like this happening, somehow I have since disabled the default search engine completely. When I type something that does not resolve, it looks for http://www.whateverItyped.com and that's it. I really don't remember what I might have tweaked. Sorry, I know this is not much help.

edit: have you tried going to about:config and searching for "search"? I can see an "extensions.getAddOns.search.browseURL" in there. That could be it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'll try that next time I remember why I would ever want to use Firefox - oh yes, that's right, ABP!

You'd expect it'd be easier to work out how to set this feature, wouldn't you? I think the default you describe is actually a good one (though for a moment there, I imagined it was some really cool lateral-thinking search engine fresh out of Palo Alto); but it's quite handy for Pentadactyl to be able to use :o as a shortcut for a search, as one can in Vimprobable. This is analogous to the behaviour in the address bar (which itself would make the search bar redundant, except for the lack of choice of search engine).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK. I tried with a fresh firefox profile and found the option that needs to be changed. It's not the one I mentioned before. Go to about:config and change browser.search.defaultenginename from "Google" to "DuckDuckGo (SSL)" for DuckDuckGo. You need to insert the name exactly as it appears in firefox's search engines list when you click on the icon in the search box.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I tried that earlier, but possibly in conjunction with a lot of other changes that may have messed things up. But I just tried again from the Live RC, and Google still pops up. Even worse, google.br! Grrr! As far as I know this Firefox is otherwise untouched by human hand. I installed the DuckDuckGo and Pentadactyl addons, and changed that one setting in about:config. Oh yes, and :set go+=T to make it easier to look at the various "bars".

What could I be doing wrong?

And then I tried changing keyword.url to be duckduckgo as per their own instructions; this successfully changes the search engine for things typed into the address bar from Google to DuckDuckGo, but not the behaviour of : o
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Make sure you enter the exact search engine name. My example was for the DuckDuckGo SSL search plugin. There are a few duckduckgo search plugins from what I've seen.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I was careful about that, though it's always possible I still managed to get it wrong (for instance, with trailing spaces or something).

I also tried searching about:config for "Google", but the results weren't immediately suggestive of anything.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything else in yours that might affect it?

The main thing I'd still like for Vimprobable is adblocking. I did experiment with Privoxy some time ago, but I don't think I quite got there. Do you think Privoxy is a good way to go, and worth persevering with? Or do you have any other recommendations?

That should really be another thread!
loopernow

Post by loopernow »

Old thread, but this is still an issue. I upgraded Firefox via Gslapt to 24.2.0 and this upgrade changed the default search engine to DuckDuckGo (which I don't want). Changing the bout:config browser.search.defaultenginename value to another search engine works for the length of the session, but once Firefox is closed and reopened, the value changes back to DuckDuckGo.

The DuckDuckGo value in browser.search.defaultenginename is indicated in about:config to be of Status "user set", which makes me wonder, could there be a script file somewhere that is changing that value when Firefox starts up? When I change the value to "Google," the Status is no longer "user set" but "default."

I tried changing the value with su, but it is reset under su as well.

EDIT: Could I add a script that would change the value in about:config after whatever else changes it?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

loopernow wrote:EDIT: Could I add a script that would change the value in about:config after whatever else changes it?
Add the following line to your users local config file, user.js found in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<unique_name>. default/

user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Google");
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"