gnormalize

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
OU812

gnormalize

Post by OU812 »

Hello. Asunder is a wonderful ripper, but I would appreciate if we could get a package for gnormalize. I like it because I can pass parameters such as --alt-preset standard. Also, I can use it to convert .wav files made with audacity to vbr mp3 files. Finally, I can use it to noramize certain audio cds. Thanks!

http://gnormalize.sourceforge.net/

john
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: gnormalize

Post by gapan »

--alt-preset-standard is exactly the same as -V2, which is exactly what asunder uses when you select mp3 vbr @190kbps. ;)

To convert wav files to mp3, you can just use lame from the terminal, or soundconverter if you want to use a gui.

And you should know that normalization is not really the best thing to do for several reasons. I am completely against using any such app. Do a little research and read about mp3gain (replaygain) instead.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Unaware that -v2 is equivalent.

Forgot about soundconverter.

Will take a look at replaygain.

Thanks.

john
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Normalizing your mp3 files is really a bad idea! Please use replaygain instead.
I've switched to rubyripper, which is imho a very good ripper.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
OU812

Post by OU812 »

You're right. I ripped a prince cd with gnormalize using the normalize option. The good news is that gnormalize ripped a particular track when other rippers failed: it was badly scratched. The bad news is that the track sounded flat and lifeless.

I remember using replay gain in winxx. Thanks.

john
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

BTW: rubyripper has an option to re-read scratched tracks several times.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Is ruby ripper a java app? I think it was the default ripper in absolute linux for awhile.

john

Thenktor - Sweet playlist. A little brutal here and there for me, but I can dig it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Rubyripper is written in ruby :mrgreen:
Shador

Post by Shador »

Replaygain is really great, but like everything that is great it got one big downhand it doesn't work with most mp3 players.
But for mp3 there is a workaround using a "feature" of mp3, but unfortunately for the much better vorbis not. :(
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Shador wrote:Replaygain is really great, but like everything that is great it got one big downhand it doesn't work with most mp3 players.
But for mp3 there is a workaround using a "feature" of mp3, but unfortunately for the much better vorbis not. :(
Actually there is. :D

It's not a widely know fact, but the vorbis specs support the same kind of manipulation mp3 files get with mp3gain, with the exception that they are limited to 3db steps, instead of 1.5db steps that mp3 have, which makes it a little less useful. I don't think there is any app that uses that part of the specs though, although I remember seeing some sample code for it at one time somewhere.

An alternative would be to rip to wav, use wavegain on the wav files and encode those to vorbis. Not exactly the same, but quite close.