Building my own special-purpose live CD

GJones
Donor

Building my own special-purpose live CD

Post by GJones »

I'd like to build a very minimal live CD, for a very specific purpose: running antirootkit tools on Windows partitions. I recently found out that some Windows based antirootkit tools run fine under Wine, sans drivers; between that and ntfs-3g I figure it should be possible to scan for rootkits using Windows antirootkit tools, from a Linux CD, without needing a BartPE CD. (And here's to hoping this grotesque level of kludgery doesn't turn around and bite me later.)

I tried to build something like this with SuSE Studio, but that doesn't offer the level of control I need, and is generally a pain to use. How hard would it be to use SALT for something like this? Is SALT available for download anywhere? I can't seem to find it on the Sourceforge site...
Shador

Re: Building my own special-purpose live CD

Post by Shador »

Here you go: http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/salix/salt/

Building a LiveCD with SaLT is relatively straightforward. But as it's quite new don't expect exhaustive documentation. There's some though and you can have a look at the different editions build scripts here: http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... live/SaLT/
Basically I'd say for your needs you would just have to play with the package lists and default settings e.g. of the xfce edition.
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Thanks!

FWIW I did finally figure out how to make SuSE Studio do (nearly) what I want. I'll keep an eye on SALT though.

Edit: Or not. Studio has this amazing way of messing up even the most basic stuff. Guess I will try SALT.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

You can also use LiveClone from the LiveCD to built a new .iso based on Salix Live Xfce, with the tools, customization en documentation you want to have.
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Thanks again for the help...

Unfortunately, due to the probable diceyness of running security software through Wine, I've decided to can this little project; instead I made use of my copies of Win2k and XP and burnt myself a UBCD4Win disk. I recommend that anyone who might want a Wine live CD follow this approach instead, if at all possible. Kind of a pain, but probably necessary if you have to deal with Windows (and with relatives who install "questionable" software, grumble grumble).