Replace brasero with another app

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Replace brasero with another app

Post by mimosa »

I've been having problems with bad burns from Brasero lately and a quick internet search suggests it may have accumulated a few bugs.

I'd also personally prefer an app that didn't ask me to make esoteric choices about "Windows compatibility". I now think I understand that "no" is generally a good answer to those questions, but for a long time I was cowed into a precautionary "yes". I bet I'm not the only one. (For anyone who hasn't come across this, filenames with dodgy characters in or too long, and deeply nested directory structures, are two things that concern Brasero.)

Xfburn seems a good possible choice. It doesn't have a "disk copy" option but that just means choosing where to store an .iso temporarily and then burning it. Choice is a good thing.

It also doesn't check for bad burns. One of Brasero's new bugs is that this feature sometimes stalls.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Replace brasero with another app

Post by djemos »

k3b is a good choice and is really the best.
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

I've had problems with Brasero (across several distros) over the past year or so. One of the first things I do now, on a new/re-install, is delete it and replace it with xfburn. While Mimosa is correct that it's not as full-featured as Brasero, I've never had a bad burn with xfburn.

I second his motion for <something> to replace Brasero.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm just installing k3b now to have a look at it. One thing is it has a lot of deps if you're not using kde - 64 MB here, and that's not including qt which I already have installed and looks like it's needed too. So it would take up a lot of space on the Salix iso.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

I also don't like the Brasero. I use the SimpleBurn.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

djemos wrote:k3b is a good choice and is really the best.
+1

PS: But we will never have it on the Xfce iso ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

thenktor wrote:PS: But we will never have it on the Xfce iso ;)
Or any other non-KDE iso. Replacing brasero is not that easy. Sure for xfce there is xfburn, but we were actually using xfburn as the default in the past and we replaced it with brasero because people were having trouble with it! Maybe the libburnia libraries are better these days, I really don't know. And xfburn is only for xfce. What about fluxbox, lxde? There aren't really many alternatives.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

And as I've discovered while poking around, one thing Brasero does do very well is make disk images. xfburn doesn't apparently have that feature, SimpleBurn didn't like the first DVD I tried it on - I suspect, because of copy protection.

It's possible to turn off Basero's post-burn checking, by the way; but if it worked, it would be a useful feature.

When you say Xfburn's just for xfce, does that mean when I installed it it installed the xfce kitchen sink, like k3b installs the kde kitchen sink, cupboards, and microwave?
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

I think k3b is the best. However, on Salix Xfce I prefer SimpleBurn. Brasero is not well understood with some devices. The 3.x branch will have solved these problems? (requires GNOME3 and gtk3).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:When you say Xfburn's just for xfce, does that mean when I installed it it installed the xfce kitchen sink, like k3b installs the kde kitchen sink, cupboards, and microwave?
Of course.