openoffice locallized spellcheck

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
witek

openoffice locallized spellcheck

Post by witek »

Hello,

I read in your documentation how to localize openoffice. I installed openoffice-l10n-pl (Polish language). It took ca 10M to download and I expected that Polish spellcheker was included in such a big package. However it was not as when I tried to use spellchecker

I know I can install the dictionary from dict-pl.oxt, however I couldn`t locate it. Was this file downloaded along with localization pack? If so, where to find it?

Anyway I guess localization process should include automatic dictionary installation.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: openoffice locallized spellcheck

Post by thenktor »

burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

And just a few topics down in the problems section: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=338
;)
Anyway I guess localization process should include automatic dictionary installation.
That should probably be targeted to the OOo developers. They are the ones that don't put dictionaries in langpacks in the first place (I'm sure there is a reasoning behind that decision, no idea what though).
witek

Post by witek »

That should probably be targeted to the OOo developers.
If Salix is supposed to be optimized for desktop usage then I think full localization should be targeted by Salix developers as the ones of Ubuntu or Mandriva do. Otherwise it might be only semi-finished product.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

There are many languages, that offer multiple dictionaries. In German there are 8 (!!) ;) So which one should be in the package? Probably this is the reason why OOo devs don't include them in the language packs.
Let's create an short wiki article how to install the lang packs and that's enough IMHO. We are not Ubuntu nor Mandriva, where everything is pre-decided and pre-configured :mrgreen: :geek: :P

PS: If I remember right you should go for StarOffice if you want a full blown office.
Shador

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:PS: If I remember right you should go for StarOffice if you want a full blown office.
LOL my experience always was that StarOffice is always a step behind OpenOffice (featurwise) and I don't have positive memories of it. Just that OOo was always way better. ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Shador, that's right. But AFAIK StarOffice features a dictionariy and stuff like that. Things that are missing from OOo.

PS: wiki entry http://salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Get_l ... ctionaries
witek

Post by witek »

thenktor wrote: Let's create an short wiki article how to install the lang packs and that's enough IMHO.
Maybe you`re right here. Good documentation is sometimes more helpful than big fat repository.

I`ve noticed you`ve already made this article. Well done! :)

I`ve been looking for a Slackware replacement and I must say that Salix looks very promising. Keep up the good work.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

If you want a Slackware replacement, then there will be a lot of distros. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... ware-based

But Salix will be the best! :mrgreen: Just kidding, you have to decide yourself ;)