XFCE-13.37 Making Boot Stick

Atip

XFCE-13.37 Making Boot Stick

Post by Atip »

There is an option to make a copy of the LIVE CD eiher on a HD or on a USB stick.
I have tried using this to make a copy on a stick both with my PC desktop and with the HP-2133
Netbook. With both machines it fails. A few files are being transfered and then it stops
seemingly forever, well after one hour I got out of it. Only the first initial files were
transferred quite fast, like the entire boot directory, salixlive/modules only 01-clone-salt and no packages only
the name of this directory.

Is this feature really notworking?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: XFCE-13.37 Making Boot Stick

Post by Akuna »

Yes it can take a very long time depending on your equipment. Even more than an hour.
Try again, letting the process come to completion by itself.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

What it was doing after the initial transfers was assembling the squashfs, which is a big job. I made the live usb last night, and it took two hours! I've just tested it and it worked perfectly.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

As far as I remember there is a message saying it may take some time, but then it looks very dead indeed. Would it be worth having some indication of progress ... even if only another message, such as "Step 4 of 7: preparing squashfs, please be patient"?

As a general point, in my experience of Linux, it's very unusual for processes not to terminate, even if they fail. Anyone used to Windows may have different expectations (if it hangs, it died).
Atip

Post by Atip »

Yes it says, this may take a long time. Why not somehow indicate what a long time is. May be
say: it might take even 2 up to hours. I cut it again after 1h45m. Had to do some thing. Will
try once more.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Yes, having a more precise time completion indicator will be most useful indeed.
It is on the (nice) to do list along with other added functionality (such as running LiveClone from a non-live environment) that might also show up when time permits.
The idea was to start simple but functional, then build on it and polish it in time.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That time app is a real resource hog. ;) It's not nice at all.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

mimosa wrote:That time app is a real resource hog. ;) It's not nice at all.
indeed! :D