Replace brasero with another app

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Andyun

Re: Replace brasero with another app

Post by Andyun »

More recently, on January 28, 2012 was released a new version 1.2.0 of the libburnia (libisofs, libisofs and libisoburn). Maybe it's a good reason to update it in the repository of the Salix OS and try it with the GUI Xfburn?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:More recently, on January 28, 2012 was released a new version 1.2.0 of the libburnia (libisofs, libisofs and libisoburn). Maybe it's a good reason to update it in the repository of the Salix OS and try it with the GUI Xfburn?
We will update it on the next salix version.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

OK, when will the new version Salix OS?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:OK, when will the new version Salix OS?
At the same time there will be a new version of Slackware.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

mimosa wrote:And as I've discovered while poking around, one thing Brasero does do very well is make disk images. xfburn doesn't apparently have that feature, SimpleBurn didn't like the first DVD I tried it on - I suspect, because of copy protection.
SimpleBurn requires Mplayer to be rebuilt with support for copy protection. You can do this easily using options in the SlackBuild.

For what it's worth, I always had problems with Brasero until recently.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for the tip pwatk!
Atip

Post by Atip »

There is a small program "flburn" have not tried it. Another distro replaced brasero with it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Atip wrote:There is a small program "flburn" have not tried it. Another distro replaced brasero with it.
This one uses FLTK instead of GTK and the user interface reminds me to my first burning app anno 199x written in TCL/TK. No, it's even worse than the old app :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Just to say I never had problems with Brasero. Maybe the "problems" must be described precisely and reported back, and maybe we could patch it for unwanted behavior but this application is easy to use to my opinion, no like others. K3B is very good, but way too complete and with a lot of dependancies.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I agree the interface is very nice. My problems have been with the actual burning, so now I just use xfburn for that.

I'd divide the problems into three:

1) annoying messages about "Windows compatibility" and folder nesting depth. This is only a problem if you have to back up data for someone who uses dodgy names and over-nested directories;

2) sometimes spends ages on something to do with md5sum, and may fail. Lots of people seem to have had this problem, to judge from internet search. It looks like a bug that may get fixed in the next version;

3) apart from that, I've had a lot of bad burns lately, but I don't get them using other apps.