Brother MFC-490CW - no print output

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
tippekanu

Brother MFC-490CW - no print output

Post by tippekanu »

I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. I am new to Salix and currently using a Brother MFC-490CW color inkjet all-in-one printer, but cannot get the Brother printer drivers to work with Salix. The printer has worked without problems in PCLinux (rpm) and Pardus (custom pisi driver) previously.

My installation is the most recent 32 bit XFCE edition. I converted the Brother rpm drivers with the "rpm2tgz" tool and installed them successfully.
The CUPS browser setup at localhost:631 went normally and the printer was listed in the setup menu.

The printer in CUPS shows up as "Idle, Accepting jobs" and when I initiate printing, the display on the printer shows the document being processed
but there is no output. Printing from the command line results in the same thing.

There do not appear to be any error messages of any kind, so I am not sure where to go from here. I did find an article on a slackware forum
that talks about having better success using the .deb drivers instead and using a tool called "deb2tgz" but I do not see it in the package manager or in slapt-SRC.

Salix is working great other than this printing issue - thank you for your help.
Andyun

Re: Brother MFC-490CW - no print output

Post by Andyun »

tippekanu

Post by tippekanu »

@Andyun

Thanks for the link. The instructions worked well - the only change needed was the path:

"Change to the Brother directory

cd /usr/local/Brother/cupswrapper/ " ( this is not quite right )

In my case it is:
cd /usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc490cw/cupswrapper

I checked the printer from different applications - pdf etc. and all looks good.

Thank you again for the quick response!
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

You are welcome, Tippekanu! Thanks for your clarification!
----------------------
A little more from myself to will add that I use the options "-d" and "-n" in the conversion rpm2tgz.