Frugal install of Live CD on ext4

ikke

Frugal install of Live CD on ext4

Post by ikke »

Was able to do poor man's install of Salixlive 13.1.2 on an ext4 formatted system.
Am able to do poor man's install of Salixlive of 13.37 on an ext3 formatted system.
But am unable to do poor man's install of Salixlive 13.37 on an ext4 formatted system.
The error message I get is that when booting the 'salix-xfce-13.37-32.live' is not found. But it is there : in the main ( /) directory.
A full install of Salix 13.37 on an ext4 formatted system is no problem.

Any reason? Any hint to enable me to install frugally Salixlive 13.37 on an ext4 formatted system?
Should add maybe that I am booting with the old grub.

Thank you for any help.
Shador

Re: Frugal install of Live CD on ext4

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:The error message I get is that when booting the 'salix-xfce-13.37-32.live' is not found. But it is there : in the main ( /) directory.
Does the content of the file match the one advertised as being searched for in that error message?
Also you're being dropped to a rescue shell after that error message, right? What devices are listed by ls? Can you find the file on any of those devices using e.g. ls (hd0,1)/?
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for your kind reaction.
Shador wrote:Does the content of the file match the one advertised as being searched for in that error message?
Yes.
Also you're being dropped to a rescue shell after that error message, right?
Yes
What devices are listed by ls?
Not a single one.
Can you find the file on any of those devices using e.g. ls (hd0,1)/?
Seems this syntax is not allowed.

Had a closer look at the "init" file of SALT. Am afraid the 'find-distro-device' function is not working as it should. It recognizes ext2/ext3 but not ext4. Maybe JRD could have more info.
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:Had a closer look at the "init" file of SALT. Am afraid the 'find-distro-device' function is not working as it should. It recognizes ext2/ext3 but not ext4. Maybe JRD could have more info.
There are two times where the .live file is searched for. Once by the bootloader before the boot menu is displayed to find its configuration files and modules unless you boot the kernel directly circumventing the menu. And later once the bootloader has booted the linux kernel, it is searched for again by the initrd to find the modules.
But I can't certainly tell from your information within which of those two it is dying. The exact message or some environmental information could shed some light here.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote:There are two times where the .live file is searched for. Once by the bootloader before the boot menu is displayed to find its configuration files and modules unless you boot the kernel directly circumventing the menu. And later once the bootloader has booted the linux kernel, it is searched for again by the initrd to find the modules..
Thank you for this info. I didn't know. I am only a (heavy?) user of Salix.
Shador wrote:But I can't certainly tell from your information within which of those two it is dying. The exact message or some environmental information could shed some light here.
Here it is :
"
Fatal Error
Could not find the distro to boot
File searched : salix-xfce-13.37-32.live
Content searched : 88d818ae211826b61c7f038ab0e1dee1
"
I confirm that the salix-xfce-13.37-32.live is on / with the correct contents.

Guess it has something to do with SaLT. Got no problems with salix-xfce-13.1.2.

Thank you.